72 posts / 0 new
Last post
JLMCDANIEL
Re: 3 way switch multiple lights
canuk wrote:

How does the NEC identify or define " travellers " used in this case ?

That's part of the problem, travelers are not specifically defined but possibly implied in references to switch loops. If "return" was properly defined and using the re-identified white anywhere except as a return there would be no misunderstanding. You can read NEC 2008 200.7 every day and come up with a different interpretation based primarily on your previous experience and learned definitions. I think that if well established in this thread.

My understanding of not using a white or re-identified white to terminate at a device is to protect consumers who may want to replace there own light or outlet and only know that black is hot and white is neutral.

If you read the thread NEC supplied you can see additional confusion that suggests that a white wire can be used as a hot and not be re-identified in certain circumstances. This goes against all safety logic as far as I'm concerned and posies danger to consumers.
Jack

JLMCDANIEL

The National Electric Code has always had to much ambiguity in it. I spent to much of my working life arguing with state inspectors what the code means, what the differences are between panel wiring requirement and house wire, and trying to explain the requirements to compensate for voltage drops aren't the same as panel wiring requirements.
Jack.

NEC

Yup, I think that the way that code article was written prior to the 1999 revision was pretty clear. The way it is written now is pretty ambiguous and the intent has been removed and/or made it very unclear.

Jack is 100% correct in that the NEC does not define travelers or returns.

I am going to request a change to that article. To me it should read that a re-identified white in a cable assembly can be used as a hot regardless, as long as it is re-identified.

This has been a great thread in my mind and sorry to the OP for taking it off track a bit.

havanagranite

just reading your guys posts gives me a headache. I will stick to "selling rocks" maybe expand into selling granite ice cubes or something

JLMCDANIEL

Wow, 65 posts and no one got mad or over wrought. It's amazing how much better discussions go when there is no troll involved.:cool:

I have a feeling this will be an issue for quite a while. The 2008 NEC has 13 pages of definitions but fails to include some of the most commonly used terms.

Jack

canuk
Quote:

Wow, 65 posts and no one got mad or over wrought. It's amazing how much better discussions go when there is no troll involved.:cool:

Thinking the same thing.;)

Boogly Boogly Boooo........

NEC

Oh.............

Well we can change that.

........ #@%$&(^) !!!!!!!:D

JLMCDANIEL

Happy Halloween

havanagranite wrote:

I will stick to "selling rocks"

Isnt that a quote from a rap song? I dunno, I could be wrong...
;)

canuk
Lloyd wrote:

Isnt that a quote from a rap song? I dunno, I could be wrong...
;)

Oh .... you're gonna burn in hell for that ... Lloyd :D

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.