72 posts / 0 new
Last post
NEC
Re: 3 way switch multiple lights
JLMCDANIEL

The white wire from the second switch that is connected to the black wire from switch 1 needs to be permanently marked to indicate it is not a grounded conductor. This can be done with a permanent marker, heat shrink tubing, or label. It must be done on both ends. See NEC 200.7 (c) (2) below.
Jack

NEC

But it must be the supply and not a return or a switch leg which is a return.

That means it can only be used for the hot suppling a switch.

Wanna argue the NEC? Game on my friend.:D

JLMCDANIEL

Hit me with the code when you get a chance. As I read it the white and red wires are the supplies to switch 2.

And explain to me how you would wire up 2 3-ways and a light if the power is to the light box rather than the switch without using the remarked white on one as a travelers.
Jack

NEC
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Hit me with the code when you get a chance. As I read it the white and red wires are the supplies to switch 2.

And explain to me how you would wire up 2 3-ways and a light if the power is to the light box rather than the switch without using the remarked white on one as a travelers.
Jack

"Hit me with the code when you get a chance. As I read it the white and red wires are the supplies to switch 2."

You gave the code.

At that point they become switch legs and are switched on and off. Returns.

"And explain to me how you would wire up 2 3-ways and a light if the power is to the light box rather than the switch without using the remarked white on one as a travelers."
Jack

Just idenify the white as a hot to the three way. Reidentify the hot to the second three way.

JLMCDANIEL

"Just idenify the white as a hot to the three way. Reidentify the hot to the second three way. "

I don't think so that would end up with 2 white wires going to the light and I believe that is a no-no. The hot goes to switch 1 and the common on switch 2 is a return not a hot supply.
Jack

canuk

Jerome confused yet? :D

a picture is worth a thousand words ........... here's a couple of other illustrations
http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch-option7.htm

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch-option3.htm

JLMCDANIEL

If you will notice in both the drawings Canuk supplied the remarked white is connected to the black traveler form switch one and is a traveler to switch 2 just as in my drawing.

It also says "Tip: The traveller wire is connected in the light ceiling boxes, with a length of neutral wire taped black to indicate a hot wire. "
Jack

NEC

Your own link to code is what it is. Reidentify as a hot or fail code compliance.

Jerome A.

:eek: weeeee
Ok so back to Jack's diagram....If I do it that way and mark the white as hot am I good?

2nd question--canuk, if I were to use 1 of those methods how do I go about adding additional light fixtures? Did I miss something? I understand the diagrams, but just not on how to add.

Thanks again!
Jerome A.

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.