6 posts / 0 new
Last post
rmpetti
3 way switch diagram

I'm looking to wire a new 3 way switch. Two switch boxes and One light. I need a diagram on how to run the wire. The light will be in the middle of the room and a switch at each door.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: 3 way switch diagram

For a basic understanding you might start here http://www.howstuffworks.com/three-way.htm/printable

However a wiring diagram is going to depend on a couple of factors. 1] Is the source power going to the ceiling box or to one of the switch boxes? 2] is the wire from one switch box going directly to the other switch box or are all the connections going through the ceiling box?

Jack

rmpetti

Jack thanks for getting back at me. I can wire it anyway as I have not started it yet. I thought I would run 14/3wg from box to box and bring power into the light. But I can do it anyway.

Thanks
Dick

JLMCDANIEL

This would require the least amount of cable for what you describe. Note I did not include the necessary ground wires in the drawing.

Jack

JLMCDANIEL wrote:

This would require the least amount of cable for what you describe. Note I did not include the necessary ground wires in the drawing.

Jack

Good drawing Jack but I would like to add as you have drawn it make sure you put the black wire on the terminal of the switch labled common.:)

JLMCDANIEL

Good point Harry. I sometimes forget that sometimes people asking questions or checking answers may not have the necessary experience toalready know the basics. I made the change to mark rthe common.
Jack

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.