Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>3 way dimmers. I'm feeling pretty dim.
22 posts / 0 new
Last post
JLMCDANIEL
Re: 3 way dimmers. I'm feeling pretty dim.

Brett, I'm confused. You say they are each in their own box and then you say it's a double gang box. Clarification please.
Jack

brettmarl

it's a double-gang shallow plastic box with a double mudring that has just 1 switch slot centered in it.

see attached box.jpg:

Attachment: 
brettmarl

or better yet - here's a photo of the two offending dimmers in question. pre and post insulation.

oh - and to canuks comment, both of these 3-way switch circuits are on the same branch circuit. they are the only thing on this light circuit.

Attachment: 
JLMCDANIEL

Solid state dimmers are notorious for the amount of heat they develop. It's possible that you are trapping to much of the heat and that is what is causing the failures ,although I would think the setup you have should work with the smaller loaded circuit. Suggest you contact the manufacturers tech support or try a different brand of dimmer.
Jack

JLMCDANIEL

Here's one thought, I wonder if a metal mud ring would help dissipate the heat.
Jack

brettmarl

jim - you're a funny man! i drywalled already and my patchup-mudding skills aren't worthy enough :)

JLMCDANIEL

But your skills improve with practice.:D
Jack

brettmarl

true. today i got up at 5am to bbq a 10lb pork butt, did a huge dump run, baked cookies, poured concrete, installed a toilet, reglazed a door, picked out my 55" LCD TV for the basement project finale, and drank copious amounts of beer. not sure where i'm going to squeeze in all that extra mudding practice ;)

JLMCDANIEL

I'm wondering is drilling a couple of holes in the bottom and top rim of the mud ring will help.

sparky rw

is that foam in the box? I wonder if there is not enough free air in the box.

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.