Home>Discussions>YARD & GARDEN>Decks, Patios, & Porches>3 season porch two story for walk out bilevel home questions on framing
1 post / 0 new
gregdrammen
3 season porch two story for walk out bilevel home questions on framing
gregdrammen

3 season porch two story for walk out bilevel home questions on framing

14' x 20' size both floors, to match up to walk out doors on each floor. 20' side run parallel with house which is 40' long. Plan on using web trusses for each floor, and scissor trusses for vaulted ceiling. Non heated both floors. Plan on putting 16' total feet of EZbreeze type screen porch windows on the 20' side. I will have to use 4" x 4" posts for support between the windows units, to support the end gable truss for strength and headers above windows. Question is which direction is stronger to run the floor web trusses, 20' span or 14' span. Hope I painted a good picture for you.

My dad and uncle, uncle was carpenter whole life, taught me to always run floor joists so roof trusses ran same direction for strength and support. I'm looking at spanning the 20' with webtrusses, both floors, 14" wide ones.

Is it improper to run floor web trusses the 14' direction from house to the 20' wall on one or both floors, which means the roof scissor trusses would be perpendicular. This would save me money on the joists, possibly more stable than spanning 20'. I"m doing this myself, very competent on building, but a friend suggested this. I guess it's against anything I was taught, but want some opinions from experienced carpenters or framers.

The 3 season room porch will tie into the existing house roof of course. Live in Wisconsin.

Thanks a whole bunch.

P.S. I lean towards spanning the 20' with possible footers under the first floor on concrete pilings at 10' location from house to 20' wall.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.