4 posts / 0 new
Last post
nick99nack
3 prong adapters

Are the 3-prong adapters safe to use if connected to the screw holding the outlet cover?

kentvw
Re: 3 prong adapters

If you're asking if it will "ground" the adapter....... No, not unless it is a grounded metal box that the receptacle is screwed to which is highly unlikely. And then that "ground" would need to be bonded back to the neutral at the service which is even more unlikely.

I still get a chuckle when thinking back to when I was a kid and "grounding" my many electronics projects to the cover plate screw. It's a myth that has been around for a long, long time.

Ernie_Fergler
kentvw wrote:

If you're asking if it will "ground" the adapter....... No, not unless it is a grounded metal box that the receptacle is screwed to which is highly unlikely. And then that "ground" would need to be bonded back to the neutral at the service which is even more unlikely.

I still get a chuckle when thinking back to when I was a kid and "grounding" my many electronics projects to the cover plate screw. It's a myth that has been around for a long, long time.

Like when someone mentions outlets now should be installed with the ground up, because it will be in the new NEC book.:D

JLMCDANIEL
Ernie_Fergler wrote:

Like when someone mentions outlets now should be installed with the ground up, because it will be in the new NEC book.:D

Ernie, you should know better than mention the NEC.:eek::D
Jack

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.