6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joseph
220 Line

Is it legal to connect 2-250/20A outlets to a single double breaker? There would never be a time when both outlets are used simultaneously. The outlets are spaced 2 ft. apart and I've run out of breaker panel room. Thanks

NEC
Re: 220 Line

Sure.............

JLMCDANIEL

At this point there is no limit on the number of outlets you can install on a line in the U.S.
Jack

Ernie_Fergler
penguin wrote:

Is it legal to connect 2-250/20A outlets to a single double breaker? There would never be a time when both outlets are used simultaneously. The outlets are spaced 2 ft. apart and I've run out of breaker panel room. Thanks

I agree with the other posters.:D
Top notch advice presented.
Just wondering aloud, what will the outlets be used for?

Joseph

To just wondering aloud; 220 outlets will be used for woodworking machinery.

Fencepost

As a rule of thumb (and I'm sure there are exceptions), any appliance that is cord-and-plug connected and not permanently attached to the building is considered portable and therefore doesn't need a dedicated circuit; any appliance that is hard-wired requires a dedicated circuit.

One exception that I can think of is hard-wired electric baseboard or wall heaters -- it's fairly common to install multiple units on a single circuit, totaling up to 80% of the ampacity of the circuit.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.