14 posts / 0 new
Last post
William
20 Amp Recessed Receptacle?

Is there such a thing as a 20 amp recessed receptacle? It would look like this only with a 20 amp T slot:

Recessed receptacle

dj1
Re: 20 Amp Recessed Receptacle?

Why won't you buy the box and the 20A receptacle separately?
Then you can combine the two. Go to a local electrical supply place and find out.

William

I have never seen a recessed box or faceplate. Any links?

Went to Loews and Home Depot but no joy.

dj1

Yes, google 'recessed receptacle'. They are handy when you want an appliance or a TV flush with the wall.

MyMilan wrote:

Is there such a thing as a 20 amp recessed receptacle? It would look like this only with a 20 amp T slot:

Recessed receptacle

Hubbel has a 120V 20A stainless steel recessed "Clock Receptacle".

It is a single unit with the standard 5-20R T slot and sells for about $25 on Amazon.

It's made to go behind clocks, TV's, beds etc. so the plug won't hold the "clock" off the wall.

William

Thanks guys! I found this one for six bucks, so I ordered two. I'm really looking forward to installing them :)

MyMilan wrote:

Thanks guys! I found this one for six bucks, so I ordered two. I'm really looking forward to installing them :)

Great! If the receptacle you're installing will be the only receptacle on a 20A breaker, the receptacle should be rated 20A.

William

There are 3 receptacles on the wall, all 20 amp.

MyMilan wrote:

There are 3 receptacles on the wall, all 20 amp.

If the're all on the same breaker (15A or 20A) you're fine w/ 15A receptacles, which have the same gauge internals, in most cases and cost a lot less.

William

Yes they are all on the same breaker, but I was going with 20 amp receptacles because I was afraid that a 15 would be the weak link and a possible fire hazard. I know that they under rate receptacles and others use 15 amp receptacles on 20 amp circuits, but I just felt safer keeping everything straight 20 amps. I'll be using all AFCI breakers too.

Brad
MyMilan wrote:

Yes they are all on the same breaker, but I was going with 20 amp receptacles because I was afraid that a 15 would be the weak link and a possible fire hazard. I know that they under rate receptacles and others use 15 amp receptacles on 20 amp circuits, but I just felt safer keeping everything straight 20 amps. I'll be using all AFCI breakers too.

Please let us know when you obtain an appliance or device that requires those 20 amp receps.:)

Pages

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.