Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>2 roofing questions - 1 curiosity & 1 advice
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
MikeV21
2 roofing questions - 1 curiosity & 1 advice
MikeV21

When I have a removed a few old roofs, I've noticed cedar shakes along the whole bottom edge of the roof.
What was the purpose and should I leave them if they are still solid? (ok I added this question while writing this)

Now for the advice question
I have a 4 sided steeple with a 3/12 pitch on 1 corner of the house that I am re-roofing. All the cap shingles running down the ridges have the 2 nails covered by the next shingle but on each, at both of the lowest corners about an inch in has a trim nail. This on both layers. Should I do this on the new roof?

dj1
Re: 2 roofing questions - 1 curiosity & 1 advice
dj1

Quote: "I have a 4 sided steeple with a 3/12 pitch on 1 corner of the house that I am re-roofing. All the cap shingles running down the ridges have the 2 nails covered by the next shingle but on each, at both of the lowest corners about an inch in has a trim nail. This on both layers. Should I do this on the new roof?"

If I understand what you are asking correctly: You want to know whether nails are needed at the bottom of the cap shingles, since they will be exposed. Well, in a windy area, the first cap shingles not secured with nails at the bottom might lift, tear and get blown away. If you noticed, many roofers like to install the first cap shingle overlapping and dropping down a bit. A couple of nails will be optional.

dj1
dj1

Quote: " When I have a removed a few old roofs, I've noticed cedar shakes along the whole bottom edge of the roof.
What was the purpose and should I leave them if they are still solid? (ok I added this question while writing this)"

I can't answer this one without knowing more about your old roof and what is under it (the type of roof deck you have).

MikeV21
MikeV21

Thank you DJ1.
Yes the nails on the ridge cap shingles are exposed. You mention the first shingle having the nails but on house every shingle from top to bottom (the ridges are vertical) has the extra 2 exposed nails for a total of 4 each. And that is on the first and second layer too. As far as a windy area I don't think of 10 miles north of Boston as being windy.
The question regarding the shakes lining the bottom of the deck pertain to houses built about 100 years ago. The deck wood is all dimensional 1" thick, a lot of different widths, in fact many not straight or square edged resulting in gaps every where. Although, the wood used along the bottom and a few courses up is the 'good stuff', straight & square edged with no gaps. I was just curious.

dj1
dj1

"The question regarding the shakes lining the bottom of the deck pertain to houses built about 100 years ago. The deck wood is all dimensional 1" thick, a lot of different widths, in fact many not straight or square edged resulting in gaps every where. Although, the wood used along the bottom and a few courses up is the 'good stuff', straight & square edged with no gaps. I was just curious."

If you're gonna shingle, you want a flat, clean, nail free surface without any boards that stick up. Any twisted piece of lumber in the deck will affect the final look of the new roof. It's your decision to make, time, money, additional labor - but you should know what you're dealing with.

dj1
dj1

About the nails: exposed nails are really no problem, they are not that visible.

Got nothing to do? paint them to match the roof color.

nickmitch213
nickmitch213

I think it would be better to do it on your new roof if you are planning to do a flat roof installation. I had one installed on my building by a flat roof installation personals of Empire Roofing Corporation in Toronto. I also agree with dj1, as any twisted piece of lumber in the deck will affect the final look of the new roof.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.