8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joshua
2 door knobs, one door
Joshua

May be an odd question, but, I live in an old house and the stairs leading to the basement are steep; that's not the issue. At the top of the steps is a door with a standard height door knob. The door swings in to the basement so when you are on the steps and the door is closed you have to climb the steps, open the door, walk down the steps, open the door fully,and finally walk up the steps. If the steps weren't so steep it probably wouldn't be an issue, just annoying. So, I have been thinking (dangerous pastime) can I add 2 door knobs to my door and connect them so they both activate the latch? Is there a simpler way? I need the door as my cats like to use the sand around the old cistern as a litter box. The sand is eventually going to be concrete, but I'm still going to have the door issue. Any help would be great. 

Jack
Re: 2 door knobs, one door
Jack

This could be a ral problem in a panic situation like a fire. Best solution would be to reverse the door so it swings out. Other than that you might replace the knob with   a door handle and attache a strap or rope that you can reach from a lower step.

Jack

Clarence
Clarence

Jim where have you been for the last 1 1/2 years nice to see you back.

Jack
Jack
Clarence wrote:

Jim where have you been for the last 1 1/2 years nice to see you back.

When they first made the changed over, I came on and the first post i read had a hyperlink that was unrelated to the topic. They had removed me as a moderator so I couldn't delete it, they said they haad an on line moderator. Seemed to be ineffective. I figured it was just more changes to make the forum unusable, so I left. Decided to check it out again.

Clarence
Clarence

It got a lot worst after you left. It has inproved very little in the past 12 mo's.

DIY questions get maybe one answer & most of the times none. I think it was Spruce that said the site was a goner " he was correct ". Right after you left the site was full of SPAM which went uncorrected for a long time. I don't know who funds this site but they are wasting thier money.

Jack
Jack

It is what happens when there is no active on line moderator, also no report button.

One advantage though is I actually get time to answer questions now instaed of cleaning up postts.

Jack

Clarence
Clarence

Have you visited the DIY CHATROOM ??

Jack
Jack

Not yet

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.