Home>Discussions>BATHROOMS>2'-6" wide Toilet room
18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bluefairy
2'-6" wide Toilet room

I'm trying to make a separate toilet room inside a bath room. Can it be only 2'6" wide by 5'-0" long?

Re: 2'-6" wide Toilet room

I wouldn't, it's the absolute bare minimum. Maybe you can steal some space. Small bathrooms are small bathrooms, and packing two pounds of baloney in a one pound bag always comes out bad.

dodsworth

I agree with LIHR.

Residential toilet installation is controlled by local plumbing codes that have to be followed; they usually require 24" clearance on all sides of the toilet to the nearest wall, or to the nearest adjacent wash basin, shower stall, etc.

You'll have to contact your local town hall to determine what the code stipulates in your location before you do the install.

Also Google "minimum clearances for residential toilets", or Universal Plumbing Codes (UPC) or International Residential Code (IRC).

A. Spruce

Don't skimp on the space. A cubical that small will be claustrophobic and univiting to the user, let alone a cleaning nightmare.

johnjh2o
dodsworth wrote:

I agree with LIHR.

Residential toilet installation is controlled by local plumbing codes that have to be followed; they usually require 24" clearance on all sides of the toilet to the nearest wall, or to the nearest adjacent wash basin, shower stall, etc.

You'll have to contact your local town hall to determine what the code stipulates in your location before you do the install.

Also Google "minimum clearances for residential toilets", or Universal Plumbing Codes (UPC) or International Residential Code (IRC).

If 24" clearance were required then just about all bathroom would be in code violation. The minimum clearance allowed is 2'6". Which in my opinion is to small, 36" works well. Most commercial stalls are 36".

John

A. Spruce
johnjh2o wrote:

The minimum clearance allowed is 2'6". Which in my opinion is to small, 36" works well. Most commercial stalls are 36".

John

My thoughts exactly! the 2/6 clearance works fine when unencumbered by walls, but when you add full wall partitions between the potty and the rest of the room, it gets extremely and uncomfortably narrow.

HoustonRemodeler

Add one more vote for 2'6" being too small for practical reasons;

Any wider folks will have great difficulty just getting in and turning around. The broad shouldered men of the family will have a tough time using their arms to adjust their clothing before and after. (you get the idea) Then there is the matter of the terlit paper dispenser getting in the way as that sticks out of the wall as well. Fixin' to add a small trash can for the ladies use?

Just sayin'

MLBSF

in massachusetts a bathroom has to be a minimum of 15 sq ft.

dj1

Besides being too tight, uncomfortable and difficult to clean like mentioned before, 2'6" wide won't satisfy the building inspector.

motoguy128
MLBSF wrote:

in massachusetts a bathroom has to be a minimum of 15 sq ft.

SO basically [email protected]' x 4-1/2' or so. That about describes the washroom under my stairs. I wouldn't be functional if it was any smaller.

Blake

I have a toilet room in my house that is 2'-7" X 5'-0", I have no problems with comfort or cleaning. I am a big guy 6'1" and I fit without any problems.

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.