Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>1950's Cast iron/porcelain ktchen sink refinishing
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Donald Richards
1950's Cast iron/porcelain ktchen sink refinishing
Donald Richards

I have a 1954/55 cast iron/porcelain finish single bowl kitchen sink that I would like to refinish. I have inquired with several companies that will spray it with epoxy paint but I would like to find someone that will refinish it with a harder surface like baked or fired powder coating or any other process that would be more like the factory finish. Is there any place I could send the sink out to and have this done? Thank you Donald Richards Newton New Hampshire

sissy
Re: 1950's Cast iron/porcelain ktchen sink refinishing
sissy

I my first house I refinished a huge kitchen sink with a drainboard and back splash and claw foot tub and was told porcelain is what they used and was harder than any other surface and long as you don't hit it with something hard .Chips can be repaired and buffed out and so can scratches .Guy there told me to use auto buffing compound and it kept it nice and shiny for the 10 years I lived there and the people who bought the house say it still looks great as they use the car buffer with the compound and it still looks good 20 years after I sold the house to them .I even used it on the huge gas range that was in the house .It looked like a lincoln all shiny .I have stayed in touch with the people and they have become friends

bill
bill

Look for a company that refinishes claw foot bath tubs, Both are cast iron, both the same process, Make sure that they use the bake method not the paint method

Tom
Tom

We owned a 100 year old five story apartment building with all the original claw foot tubs and we used the two part epoxy and if treated carefully it lasted about 7 to 10 years. The sinks that we used the epoxy lasted about 1 to 2 years because of washing dishes, silverware etc. So don't use the epoxy method. You can probably get a new manufacture replacement sink for cheaper then having someone strip and redo your current sink properly.

dj1
dj1

"You can probably get a new manufacture replacement sink for cheaper then having someone strip and redo your current sink properly."

I agree with this, It's has been my experience that replacing is better than re-glazing, and many times cost me less.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.