1 post / 0 new
Amber
1935 wall re-insulation
Amber

Hello,

In the process of removing the old tube and nobe electric in this 1935 house I didscovered the house used this rock type of "drywall" and had hardley any insulation in the walls.  Since the "drywall" was a bitch to work with because if crumbbled I decided to take all of it down.  I'm glad I did because I found several spots of rotting wood.  Now I need to redo the insulation and think I've decided on mineral whool battinging to do the job.  Most of the insulation that was fiberglass looked damaged when I pulled it out, so I'm concered about the new stuff getting wet.  There seems to be none of the foamboard insulation on the outside of the house like I seem them use today.  Basically it's the frame of the house then some vertical boards with 1/2" gaps between them, then this black paper, the original wood sideing and finally vinly siding ontop of the wood siding.  I was planing on of just sealing the gaps with cans of spray foam.  Will that be enough to protect the insulation or should I use some house wrap or something else for added protection from water and moisture?  I live in Northeast Ohio so we get hot humid summers and cold wet winters.

Than You,

Amber

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.