Home>Discussions>PAINTING & FINISHING>"1910" Mill shows O lead with test kit (Is that possible?)
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
mp3ano
"1910" Mill shows O lead with test kit (Is that possible?)

I do not want to get EPA involved at this time, but want to know if the curling. brittle chips falling off the ceiling contain lead. I purchased a EPA approved test kit with the glass vial and the (index card thick) paint did not turn pink or read even when scraped through with razor blade.
Is it possible that from 1910 the paint used in this mill (ceiling only) did not contain lead?

Timothy Miller
Re: "1910" Mill shows O lead with test kit (Is that possible?)

Sure. consider another test area too...

hedgeclippers
Re: "1910" Mill shows O lead with test kit (Is that possible?)

I agree test other areas. One possibility is that your test kit was faulty in some way,try another kit. Another possibility is that perhaps they used milk paint which usually has no lead. Most areas where you usually find high concentrations of lead are on window frames and door frames. I would try those places as if you have any lead there you will find it there first. Has the place been renovated or worked on before you aquired the place? Maybe someone already removed the lead paint. Good luck to you in your painting project!:)

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.