Home>Discussions>INSULATION & HVAC>1890 Home Attic Insulation Update Help
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hap
1890 Home Attic Insulation Update Help

Hello,

I live in Waynesboro PA and my colony type home is an older 1890, four level, stone foundation, then 2x4x8.5 thick brick walls (8.5 in) to the roof, with real 2x6 and 2x8 beams and tongue and groove southern yellow pine floors. The Attic has a full flooring of tongue and groove southern yellow pine, and undernerneath the flooring the insulation is old loose brown rock wool, I believe. I would like to re-insulate the attic with newer R factor insulation, should I remove all the boards and old insulation to add newer R factor insulation or have it blown in. The Attic head room is between 8 to 12 ft due to roof peaks, great storage area.

Thank you

Hap

HandyAndyInMtAiry
Re: 1890 Home Attic Insulation Update Help

Hap,

That comes down to personal preference. If this were my house, I would like to have all of the old removed. Fix any areas or things I see that need repair, and then install the insulation of choice.

Keep in mind that you can also have foam insulation between the roof rafters. If you want to keep the wood floors intact, that is another option for you.

Andrew

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC

Phillip
Re: 1890 Home Attic Insulation Update Help

Keep in mind if you do spray rafters with foam you will need to remove all ceiling joists insulation. 

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.