Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Molding & Carpentry>1870 laminate wood floor anyone?
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
James
1870 laminate wood floor anyone?
James

Built in 1870, the subfloor looks to be t&g 1x3-4. the top layer you walk on is this narrow thin stuff.  about 2 inches wide and about 1/4 inch thick.  it resembles lath in its dimensions.  it seems to be just glued down somehow. anyone see this before?

Attachment: 
HandyAndyInMtAiry
Re: 1870 laminate wood floor anyone?
HandyAndyInMtAiry

James,

I am seeing what looks like oak lumber, in the normal hardwood flooring dimenstion of 2.25 inches wide and 1 inch thick. I see nails holding down the flooring. I see no subfloor in the picture. I doubt very seriously if that is any kind of cheap laminate flooring.

Andrew

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC

James
James
HandyAndyInMtAiry wrote:

James,

I am seeing what looks like oak lumber, in the normal hardwood flooring dimenstion of 2.25 inches wide and 1 inch thick. I see nails holding down the flooring. I see no subfloor in the picture. I doubt very seriously if that is any kind of cheap laminate flooring.

Andrew

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC

Yeah, I saw those nails too.  from what I've seen in the rest of the house, nails aren't commonly used.  And yes, it isn't some cheap laminate.  I'll have to get  better pics, but the pieces are very much like lathe dimensions.  Either way, even with nails, this seems to be a rather strange set-up.  any ideas?

HandyAndyInMtAiry
HandyAndyInMtAiry

Not strange at all. That is the way things were done when it was installed. You would not see materials/processes today, that was done when your house was built. That looks like a 2 inch wide plank. You can have wood cut into any dimension that you want.

Andrew

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.