Home>Discussions>TOOLS & PRODUCTS>18 volt rechargable batteries
28 posts / 0 new
Last post
dj1
Re: 18 volt rechargable batteries

"Maybe when I buy my Tesla I'll be able to? "

Spruce, quick, get in line.

There are already over 200,000 orders w/deposits for the new Telsa 3, due out of production in 2017.

A. Spruce

You know, Tesla needs to come out with a line of cordless power tools. Just think, you can drive yourself to work, use all your tools, then drive yourself home at the end of the day, all on ONE battery! :p:cool:

dj1
A. Spruce wrote:

You know, Tesla needs to come out with a line of cordless power tools. Just think, you can drive yourself to work, use all your tools, then drive yourself home at the end of the day, all on ONE battery! :p:cool:

How then, will transport the plywood, drywall, 2xs, etc?

Remember, we are WORKING generals, not TALL BROS*

*Tall Brothers is a large construction company, just took over a local giant S&S.
S&S was Sam Shapell's company, after he died, his children cashed out asap. Only 1.6 B. Fire sale.

A. Spruce

You didn't know? They're releasing a truck and van series late 2016. :p:cool:

Benjamin
A. Spruce wrote:

Yep, that was the bane of my existence in those days, 3 batteries, one drill and I still couldn't install two gazebos without stopping for a charge. Some would say, "just buy more batteries", and while that is one solution, the better solution would be having a way to charge these darned things in your vehicle. Maybe when I buy my Tesla I'll be able to? :p:cool:

I have a Milwaukee 12 volt charger that plugs into the van but they stopped making it. I assume because to many people ran their batteries down. We run a second battery for the charger and inverter that is isolated when the van is off so it is not an issue for us.

A. Spruce
holler2 wrote:

I have a Milwaukee 12 volt charger that plugs into the van but they stopped making it. I assume because to many people ran their batteries down. We run a second battery for the charger and inverter that is isolated when the van is off so it is not an issue for us.

Yeah, I never got that far with my truck, though I did think about the whole second battery/inverter thing to have power for other uses. I was also seriously thinking about one of the Honda EU series gennies for the same purpose, after much thought, it would have just been a tempting tidbit to entice thieves to visit, so I retired instead! Problem solved! :p:cool:

Mastercarpentry

They DO make 12V in-car chargers or at least some manufacturers did last time I looked. The Craftsman 19.2V one I had was particular in use; it didn't like being warm or charging old worn packs but otherwise it worked OK. DeWalt offered one (and it may still be available) for their 18V NiMh packs. These use what is called a "Boost Driver" rather than a transformer, since transformers work on AC nad by the time you converted that to DC on both ends it would be terribly inefficient. A good Boost Driver can be 80%+ efficient. DeWalt makes 18V LiIon packs for their old tool line but you need to use the new charger with them; they cannot be charged with the old NiMh charger (though the new charger will work with the old NiMh packs). I haven't seen an adapter to use the 20V packs with the old 18V tools yet. I've got some research to do I guess- thanks Keith!.

A word about LiIon SAFETY

LiIon packs and cells require a totally different charging technique for safety, attempting to charge them otherwise can result in a nasty thermal-runaway and fire which produces hydrogen flouride fumes. Some NiMh Rigid chargers will accept their LiIon batteries but do not try it. This maybe true of other manufacturers too, I do not know that. The fumes can permanently damage your lungs but the effect is delayed. If you breathe that stuff get to a doctor right now even though you feel ok because tomorrow when you feel it is too late for effective treatment. Should you be unlucky enough to experience a LiIon fire approach from upwind and use water to keep surrounding materials from igniting. Use a shovel and toss it outside as it is or will shortly be at 1200+ degrees, then ventilate the area. It takes a special "Class D" extinguisher to work on Lithium fires, nothing else is effective so don't bother trying. If you get any spatters of LiIon cell chemicals on you, wash with soap and water for many minutes then seek medical attention immediately. There's a salve for this but it's expensive and again nothing else is effective. As most of these problems occur during charging, do not charge LiIon without constant supervision- it's not really safe to plug in and walk away like we did with older battery technologies even though there are safety circuits involved here. As good as those are in tool batteries, they are not foolproof. And most importantly do not over-discharge these batteries and cells, not even once, because doing that raises the odds of a fire during charging drastically. If a LiIon cell or pack does not function properly set it aside and recycle it- do not attempt to charge it or otherwise make it work again. When used correctly the risks are small using these power-house cells and batteries, but when things go wrong the consequences are much more serious. As the power capacity has been raised, so have the stakes in the safety game- no misuse or abuse allowed with LiIon under any circumstances ever!

Phil,
your friendly resident Flashaholic :cool:

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.