Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>1780's house original open well unsealed INSIDE home
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
ConnecticutAntique
1780's house original open well unsealed INSIDE home
ConnecticutAntique

My husband and I are considering the purchase of a historic (not officially registered) home that was build in the 1780's. Inside the home the original "well house" has been built around to include the current lovely kitchen. By building around the existing well house, the original well is located inside of the home. It is unsealed and protected only by a cabinet door that you can open and see directly down to the well pit.:eek: Naturally we are concerned about the massive safety risk of having a unsealed death pit in our kitchen.

My questions are, has anyone ever encountered this before? Does anyone know how sealing this type of well would work and approximate cost (we are in Connecticut)? Any other information on this topic would be GREATLY appreciated. We need to be more informed before we can confidently put in an offer to purchase the home. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

ed21
Re: 1780's house original open well unsealed INSIDE home
ed21

I would inquire at the local building department about what is required or generally recommended for a well in the house that is abandoned.

dj1
dj1

Asking the building department about an inactive well is a good idea. You can also contact well contractors in your area for more info and guidance.

I would assume that such a job has to be inspected upon completion and the permit signed off (a good thing to keep in a safe place, if you even wanted to sell).

Jack
Jack

You don't mention if the well is in use. If it is not do as Ed21 mentioned or check the local extension office. There are strict regulations regarding how you abandon a well including what you have to do to fill it safely. If it is in use, many dug wells are still used, then a water test would be proper, and a concrete lid could be installed but it would need to be done in such a way to allow access to any existing foot valve or pump.

Jack

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.