4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Danny56
12 Year old house Blues

Help.

I have a 12 year old house in Northern Calif. with much dry Rot on the siding. The siding is Masonite. It was installed in sheets and there is much dryrot at the bottoms of most sheets. My house is 2 story.

Is it a good idea to cut off rotted siding areas and add z bar and new siding to replace old siding.

Any help is appreciated.

A. Spruce
Re: 12 Year old house Blues
Danny56 wrote:

Is it a good idea to cut off rotted siding areas and add z bar and new siding to replace old siding.

While this is an "acceptable" method of remediation, I personally would choose to replace the entire sheet because I don't like the look of the z-bar that low on the wall. Something that you could do would be to install a water table - think "wainscot" for the exterior of your home. A water table is a horizontal trim piece at approximately 3' from the ground. Below this trim you could stucco, install lap siding of any type, brick, or even go back with the same material as the existing. The difference is that the water table provides an aesthetic visual break between the upper and lower portion of the wall, as opposed to a chunk of z-bar that looks like a scab repair, no matter how careful or well done the work is.

As I mentioned, just using z-bar is perfectly acceptable (I too am in NorCal and have done extensive pest repairs for a variety of real estate companies and homeowners ), and z-bar is what your typical pest company would install during repairs. It's cheap, it's fast, it's "easy", that is why it's done.

:)

vntghmrp
Re: 12 Year old house Blues

Being in W. Mass. we do not use this product because it would not withstand our climate, but I agree that doing half a job is only asking for a redo down the road, "do it right or don't do it at all".

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.