3 posts / 0 new
Last post
100 yr house Foundation

My mother lives in a 100-year-old home, her garage wall foundation is cracked, and has shifted over time, and is still moving, resulting in the garage south wall to shift inward, with the above room south wall following the movement. Over the years, the second story interior walls are separating (2 in gap or more) and the front roof fascia board is separating. I need help locating a professional, reputable, insured, honest qualified foundation engineer to correct this problem before we lose half the home. I rather not have a subcontractor perform the work. The house is located in a small town in Coos County NH away from any major city. Would appreciate any help in directing me toward a solid repair to this moving problem.

Re: 100 yr house Foundation

You could check with your states Better Business Bureau and your states Contracting Licensing Board for information on contractors who are qualified and who don't have violations or complaints against them. Hope this helps you out.

Timothy Miller
Re: 100 yr house Foundation

Howdy, you need to contact a construction company that repairs basement foundations. They will either include a engineers fee in the bid or have the experience & know how to repair the foundation. I would expect them to recommend jacking the structure up temp shoring and replacement of the failed foundation.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.