In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to install drywall on a ceiling using a lift.
Steps for hanging drywall on a ceiling
- Use a drywall T-square to draw lines onto drywall sheet 16 in. on center; these lines correspond to the 1×3 strapping screwed to ceiling joists.
- Mark onto the drywall the location of any lights or vents in the ceiling.
- Set drywall sheet onto the drywall lift, then crank it up to the ceiling.
- Secure drywall to 1×3 strapping with 1 5/8-inch drywall screws.
- Cut holes for light or vents using a drywall cutout tool.
You may choose to rent a drywall lift to make things easier.