More in Roofing

Ridge Vents

What to do where roof meets side wall


We're shingling an addition with a roof that's slanted away from the
main house. The roof meets the aluminum siding on the main house. We want to vent it but can't use a ridge vent. Is there something we can use to fill between the siding and the roof and allow ventilation
without letting in water?

— Elaine, South Easton, Massachusetts


Tom Silva replies: There is a vent system that is made for that type of application, where you have a roof that meets a side wall. You cut a slot in the roof, and one row of shingles will come out and under to become flashing. Then your siding comes down and hides that piece. So it's basically a ridge vent cut in half.


TV Listings

Find TV Listing for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.