1 out of 5EasySomewhat easy, but the work must be performed at the factory
About $5-$10 per square foot, plus mechanical component costs
Less than an hour for an average-size room
Tools & Materials
- Drill ⅝-inch-diameter holes through the floor joists for running the PEX tubing.
- Lay the aluminum transfer plates between the floor joists, then fasten them to the underside of the subfloor with ½-inch screws.
- Run a continuous length of PEX tubing back and forth along the transfer plates, passing it through the holes in joists.
- Using your foot, gently step on the tubing to snap it into the grooves in the transfer plates.
- Lay batts of mineral wool insulation between the floor joists, covering up the tubing.