In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey shows two no-solder ways to make watertight pipe connections.
1. To install a compression fitting, start by placing the hex nut onto the pipe.
2. Next, slide the brass ferrule onto the pipe.
3. Then press the fitting onto the end of the pipe.
4. Push the ferrule and nut up against the fitting.
5. Tighten the nut onto the fitting with two wrenches to create a watertight connection.
6. To install a push-connection fitting, simply push it onto the pipe end until it bottoms out. No tools required.