In this video, This Old House host Kevin O'Connor explains what to look for when choosing energy-efficient lightbulbs.
1. Replace old incandescent lightbulbs with energy-efficient LED, halogen, and fluorescent bulbs.
2. When shopping for these new bulbs, it's important to look beyond the wattage ratings.
3. The output or brightness of a bulb is listed as lumens. An energy-efficient bulb produces the same output while using less electricity.
4. The color temperature of a bulb affects the look of the light.
5. A lower color temperature is similar to an incandescent bulb; higher color temperatures look more like daylight.
6. These new bulbs cost more than old incandescent lights, but they last much longer and save energy in the long run.