Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 3 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 3"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #326
- Installing window boxes on brick siding, making plumbing connections, installing a "drip strip" … more
- Episode #325
Original Air Date: Week of March 21, 2005
Up in the loft, general contractor Tom Silva shows host Kevin O'Connor a few tricks for using one of the most basic tools, a tape measure. Then master electrician Allen Gallant visits homeowner Kristen Berger of Leominster, Massachusetts and brightens up a dimly-lit basement with new fluorescent fixtures. Then Tom and Kevin, along with plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey and landscaping contractor Roger Cook ask, "What is it?" Later, Kevin shows Roger a software package that can be used to create a three-dimensional landscape plan. And Richard makes a house call to homeowner Wendy Smith in Duxbury, Massachusetts and shows her how to replace the banged-up aluminum cover on an old baseboard heater.
Installing Florescent Light Fixtures
Master electrician Allen Gallant helps a homeowner install new fluorescent light fixtures in her basement. Allen ties the new fixtures into an existing light switch by way of a wiring pattern referred to as a "switch-leg-return."
Where to Find It
Allen Gallant, Master Electrician from Gallant Electric
Fluorescent light fixtures, armored cable cutters and other electrical supplies can be purchased at your local electrical supply house or home center.
What is it?
Roger shows a device that alerts a homeowner when the mail arrives.
Where to Find It: SmartHome Mailbox Monitor
GE Home Electric Products, Inc.
Kevin shows Roger a computer software program for designing a landscape.
Where to Find It
Master Landscape Pro
Punch! Software, LLC
7900 NW 100th Street - Suite LL6
Kansas City, MO 64153
Replacing an Aluminum Baseboard Heat Cover
Richard replaces a banged-up aluminum baseboard heat cover with a new "dummy" cover. He first removes the old one from the wall using a reciprocating saw to cut through the old screws. He then detaches the old hangers from the cover and removes the cover. He then vacuums the radiator "fins" using a shop vacuum and installs the new hangers and new cover.
Where to Find It: Dummy baseboard covers
- Episode #324
- Installing an electronic air cleaner, removing ice from a walkway, venting a bathroom fan.… more
- Episode #323
- Clearing a clogged vent stack, building a backyard ice rinks… more
- Episode #322
- Riding lawnmowers, garbage disposers, and replacing a rotting wooden threshold… more
- Episode #321
- Installing a 220 volt receptacle, gardening hand tools, and installing a macerating toilet… more
- Episode #320
- Leveling a floor, fixing a leaky water shut-off valve, air compressors… more
- Episode #319
- Composting, and removing a house trap… more
- Episode #318
- Unclogging bathtub drains, exploring alternatives to window weights and planting a low-maintenance garden … more
- Episode #317
- Replacing rotted deck balusters, and connecting an icemaker, and stripping wallpaper
- Episode #316
- Replicating moldings, fixing an unlevel patio, and stripping wallpaper
- Episode #315
- Replacing an old storm window, winterizing shrubs, and using carbon monoxide detectors
- Episode #314
- Repairing a glass door, and pruning a Pin Oak
- Episode #313
- Planting a new lawn, and replacing a kitchen sink
- Episode #312
- Repairing cracked stucco, cleaning a lawnmower, and installing a dehumidifier pump
- Episode #311
- Learning about ladder safety and rebuilding a crumbling retaining wall
- Episode #310
- Silencing a noisy toilet, cutting crown molding, and replacing broken tile
- Episode #309
- Repairing leaky valves, replacing a cellar door, and repairing a leaky drip irrigation hose
- Episode #308
- Installing adjustable shelves, identifying a plastic guard for a tree trunk, and testing your soil before planting
- Episode #307
- Relacing a water heater's anode rod, installing a rain diverter, identifying a gutter cleaner and no-caulk flashing, and installing thermostatic valves on steam radiators
- Episode #306
- Adding window boxes, identifying a cordless drill holder, and how to install sod
- Episode #305
- Removing damaged bolts and screws; creating a walkway edge; What Is It?; jacking up a porch to fix a rotting post
- Episode #304
- Cutting a kitchen pass-through; What Is It?; stopping a toilet from running… more
- Episode #303
- Repairing a fence, restoring hot water by fixing an anti-scald valve, and installing a keyless chuck on an older drill
- Episode #302
- Replacing a clogged trap, brick walkway patterns, and covering a cracked ceiling with drywall
- Episode #301
- Edging a garden bed, choosing drill bits, identifying a nail finder, and how to use a fire extinguisher. … more