Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 3 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 3"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #326
- Installing window boxes on brick siding, making plumbing connections, installing a "drip strip" … more
- Episode #325
- Installing fluorescent light fixtures, landscaping software, replacing an aluminum baseboard heat cover
- Episode #324
- Installing an electronic air cleaner, removing ice from a walkway, venting a bathroom fan.… more
- Episode #323
- Clearing a clogged vent stack, building a backyard ice rinks… more
- Episode #322
Original Air Date: Week of February 28, 2005
Landscaping contractor Roger Cook heads to Alpharetta, Georgia to help homeowner Dale Eneberg shop for a new riding lawnmower. Then Roger, along with plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, general contractor Tom Silva, and host Kevin O'Connor ask, "What is it?" Later, Tom replaces a rotting wooden threshold for homeowners Steve Chapman & Maggie Hale of Arlington, Massachusetts. And, back in the loft, Richard shows Kevin how garbage disposers work and explains how to keep them working like new.
Roger takes a homeowner to a local home center to shop for a new riding lawnmower. Roger explains the different features of each machine and takes some outside for a test drive.
Where to Find It:
John Deere L110 manufactured by John Deere & Company World Headquarters
Toro TimeCutter Z manufactured by The Toro Company
All three riding lawnmowers featured in this episode are available at most Home Depot locations.
What is it?
Tom showed a device for holding a plaster hawk on a belt.
Where to Find It
Tommy Hawk Holder
7 Gary St.
Lindenhurst, NY 11757
Richard shows Kevin how a garbage disposer works. He also shows how to clear a jam and explains how to prevent disposer jams altogether.
Where to Find It
Insinkerator: manufactured by In-Sink-Erator
Garbage Disposer Wrench (part number 45101), manufactured by: Kitchenaid
Replacing a rotting wooden threshold
Tom replaces a rotting, oak threshold with a new one. He cuts the middle section of the old one out using a reciprocating saw. He then cuts through all the nails and removes the threshold. He then reinforces the structure underneath with pressure-treated wood. Tom then glues the new threshold in place using tri-polymer caulk and an expandable foam product.
Where to Find It
Tri-polymer caulk: Geocel
Great Stuff Insulating Foam Sealant manufactured by The Dow Chemical Company
- Episode #321
- Installing a 220 volt receptacle, gardening hand tools, and installing a macerating toilet… more
- Episode #320
- Leveling a floor, fixing a leaky water shut-off valve, air compressors… more
- Episode #319
- Composting, and removing a house trap… more
- Episode #318
- Unclogging bathtub drains, exploring alternatives to window weights and planting a low-maintenance garden … more
- Episode #317
- Replacing rotted deck balusters, and connecting an icemaker, and stripping wallpaper
- Episode #316
- Replicating moldings, fixing an unlevel patio, and stripping wallpaper
- Episode #315
- Replacing an old storm window, winterizing shrubs, and using carbon monoxide detectors
- Episode #314
- Repairing a glass door, and pruning a Pin Oak
- Episode #313
- Planting a new lawn, and replacing a kitchen sink
- Episode #312
- Repairing cracked stucco, cleaning a lawnmower, and installing a dehumidifier pump
- Episode #311
- Learning about ladder safety and rebuilding a crumbling retaining wall
- Episode #310
- Silencing a noisy toilet, cutting crown molding, and replacing broken tile
- Episode #309
- Repairing leaky valves, replacing a cellar door, and repairing a leaky drip irrigation hose
- Episode #308
- Installing adjustable shelves, identifying a plastic guard for a tree trunk, and testing your soil before planting
- Episode #307
- Relacing a water heater's anode rod, installing a rain diverter, identifying a gutter cleaner and no-caulk flashing, and installing thermostatic valves on steam radiators
- Episode #306
- Adding window boxes, identifying a cordless drill holder, and how to install sod
- Episode #305
- Removing damaged bolts and screws; creating a walkway edge; What Is It?; jacking up a porch to fix a rotting post
- Episode #304
- Cutting a kitchen pass-through; What Is It?; stopping a toilet from running… more
- Episode #303
- Repairing a fence, restoring hot water by fixing an anti-scald valve, and installing a keyless chuck on an older drill
- Episode #302
- Replacing a clogged trap, brick walkway patterns, and covering a cracked ceiling with drywall
- Episode #301
- Edging a garden bed, choosing drill bits, identifying a nail finder, and how to use a fire extinguisher. … more