Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 3 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 3"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #326
- Installing window boxes on brick siding, making plumbing connections, installing a "drip strip" … more
- Episode #325
- Installing fluorescent light fixtures, landscaping software, replacing an aluminum baseboard heat cover
- Episode #324
- Installing an electronic air cleaner, removing ice from a walkway, venting a bathroom fan.… more
- Episode #323
- Clearing a clogged vent stack, building a backyard ice rinks… more
- Episode #322
- Riding lawnmowers, garbage disposers, and replacing a rotting wooden threshold… more
- Episode #321
- Installing a 220 volt receptacle, gardening hand tools, and installing a macerating toilet… more
- Episode #320
Original Air Date: Week of February 14, 2005
General contractor Tom Silva helps homeowner Mark Andrews of Charlestown, Massachusetts level an uneven concrete floor so that he can install hardwood flooring. Then Tom, along with plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, landscape contractor Roger Cook, and host Kevin O'Connor, ask "What is it?" in the Ask This Old House loft. Then, Richard shows homeowner Jenna Williams of Rex, Georgia a simple repair for a leaky water shut-off valve. Then, up in the loft, Tom teaches Kevin about air-compressors and how to select the right one for the job.
Leveling a Floor
Tom levels an old basement floor in preparation for hardwood flooring. He scribes a series of wooden shims along the contour of the existing concrete floor, cuts them, and then fastens them to the floor. He then pours leveling compound between the shims and uses a screed to level the compound.
Where to Find It
Leveling Compound: LevelQuik® RS, Rapid Setting Self-Leveling Underlayment
Custom Building Products
What Is It?
Richard showed a strainer for catching lint from a washing machine discharge hose.
Where to Find It
Laundry Tub Drain Lint Trapper:
Seven Seas, Inc.
P.O. Box 622
Stillwater, MN 55082
Fixing a Leaky Water Shut-off Valve
Roger repairs a leaking cold water shut-off valve using Teflon tape to replace the valve's bonnet.
Where to Find It
Teflon tape can be found at your local plumbing supply house or your local home center.
Tom shows Kevin what things to look for when shopping for an air compressor.
Where to Find It: Air compressors:
SENCO Products, Inc.
*Available at The Home Depot
- Episode #319
- Composting, and removing a house trap… more
- Episode #318
- Unclogging bathtub drains, exploring alternatives to window weights and planting a low-maintenance garden … more
- Episode #317
- Replacing rotted deck balusters, and connecting an icemaker, and stripping wallpaper
- Episode #316
- Replicating moldings, fixing an unlevel patio, and stripping wallpaper
- Episode #315
- Replacing an old storm window, winterizing shrubs, and using carbon monoxide detectors
- Episode #314
- Repairing a glass door, and pruning a Pin Oak
- Episode #313
- Planting a new lawn, and replacing a kitchen sink
- Episode #312
- Repairing cracked stucco, cleaning a lawnmower, and installing a dehumidifier pump
- Episode #311
- Learning about ladder safety and rebuilding a crumbling retaining wall
- Episode #310
- Silencing a noisy toilet, cutting crown molding, and replacing broken tile
- Episode #309
- Repairing leaky valves, replacing a cellar door, and repairing a leaky drip irrigation hose
- Episode #308
- Installing adjustable shelves, identifying a plastic guard for a tree trunk, and testing your soil before planting
- Episode #307
- Relacing a water heater's anode rod, installing a rain diverter, identifying a gutter cleaner and no-caulk flashing, and installing thermostatic valves on steam radiators
- Episode #306
- Adding window boxes, identifying a cordless drill holder, and how to install sod
- Episode #305
- Removing damaged bolts and screws; creating a walkway edge; What Is It?; jacking up a porch to fix a rotting post
- Episode #304
- Cutting a kitchen pass-through; What Is It?; stopping a toilet from running… more
- Episode #303
- Repairing a fence, restoring hot water by fixing an anti-scald valve, and installing a keyless chuck on an older drill
- Episode #302
- Replacing a clogged trap, brick walkway patterns, and covering a cracked ceiling with drywall
- Episode #301
- Edging a garden bed, choosing drill bits, identifying a nail finder, and how to use a fire extinguisher. … more