Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 3 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 3"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #326
- Installing window boxes on brick siding, making plumbing connections, installing a "drip strip" … more
- Episode #325
- Installing fluorescent light fixtures, landscaping software, replacing an aluminum baseboard heat cover
- Episode #324
- Installing an electronic air cleaner, removing ice from a walkway, venting a bathroom fan.… more
- Episode #323
- Clearing a clogged vent stack, building a backyard ice rinks… more
- Episode #322
- Riding lawnmowers, garbage disposers, and replacing a rotting wooden threshold… more
- Episode #321
- Installing a 220 volt receptacle, gardening hand tools, and installing a macerating toilet… more
- Episode #320
- Leveling a floor, fixing a leaky water shut-off valve, air compressors… more
- Episode #319
Original Air Date: Week of February 7, 2005
Landscape contractor Roger Cook shows homeowner Doug Ferguson of Hudson, Massachusetts how to recycle his yard waste through composting. They visit a compost bin test site where they meet compost expert Ann McGovern from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection. Then Roger, along with general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and host Kevin O'Connor, ask "What is it?" in the Ask This Old House loft. Later, Richard helps homeowner Kate Smukler of Arlington, Massachusetts remove an old cast-iron house trap on her main sewer line so that a clog can be easily cleared.
Roger explains the benefits of home composting and meets with an expert on different types of compost bins.
Where to Find It
Compost expert: Ann McGovern
Massachusetts Dept. of Environmental Protection
New Age Composter:
New England Plastics, Inc.
126 Duchaine Blvd.
New Bedford, MA 02745
Earth Machine (composter):
Norseman Plastics Ltd.
*Compost bins are available for purchase at low-cost through some government-funded programs. They can also be purchased at garden centers, home centers, and on the internet.
What Is It?
Roger showed an electronic device that measures rain fall.
Where to Find It
Remote Rain Gauge with Thermometer & Clock: manufactured by Oregon Scientific, Inc.
Removing a House Trap
Richard removes a house trap from an old cast-iron drainpipe to allow snake to clear a clog. First, he cuts away the old trap using a soil pipe cutter. He then installs a new, straight clean-out using new cast iron pipe and no-hub fittings.
Where to Find It
Soil pipe cutter: RIDGID
Soil pipe cutters are available at plumbing supply houses and rental centers.
- Episode #318
- Unclogging bathtub drains, exploring alternatives to window weights and planting a low-maintenance garden … more
- Episode #317
- Replacing rotted deck balusters, and connecting an icemaker, and stripping wallpaper
- Episode #316
- Replicating moldings, fixing an unlevel patio, and stripping wallpaper
- Episode #315
- Replacing an old storm window, winterizing shrubs, and using carbon monoxide detectors
- Episode #314
- Repairing a glass door, and pruning a Pin Oak
- Episode #313
- Planting a new lawn, and replacing a kitchen sink
- Episode #312
- Repairing cracked stucco, cleaning a lawnmower, and installing a dehumidifier pump
- Episode #311
- Learning about ladder safety and rebuilding a crumbling retaining wall
- Episode #310
- Silencing a noisy toilet, cutting crown molding, and replacing broken tile
- Episode #309
- Repairing leaky valves, replacing a cellar door, and repairing a leaky drip irrigation hose
- Episode #308
- Installing adjustable shelves, identifying a plastic guard for a tree trunk, and testing your soil before planting
- Episode #307
- Relacing a water heater's anode rod, installing a rain diverter, identifying a gutter cleaner and no-caulk flashing, and installing thermostatic valves on steam radiators
- Episode #306
- Adding window boxes, identifying a cordless drill holder, and how to install sod
- Episode #305
- Removing damaged bolts and screws; creating a walkway edge; What Is It?; jacking up a porch to fix a rotting post
- Episode #304
- Cutting a kitchen pass-through; What Is It?; stopping a toilet from running… more
- Episode #303
- Repairing a fence, restoring hot water by fixing an anti-scald valve, and installing a keyless chuck on an older drill
- Episode #302
- Replacing a clogged trap, brick walkway patterns, and covering a cracked ceiling with drywall
- Episode #301
- Edging a garden bed, choosing drill bits, identifying a nail finder, and how to use a fire extinguisher. … more