Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 3 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 3"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #326
- Installing window boxes on brick siding, making plumbing connections, installing a "drip strip" … more
- Episode #325
- Installing fluorescent light fixtures, landscaping software, replacing an aluminum baseboard heat cover
- Episode #324
- Installing an electronic air cleaner, removing ice from a walkway, venting a bathroom fan.… more
- Episode #323
- Clearing a clogged vent stack, building a backyard ice rinks… more
- Episode #322
- Riding lawnmowers, garbage disposers, and replacing a rotting wooden threshold… more
- Episode #321
- Installing a 220 volt receptacle, gardening hand tools, and installing a macerating toilet… more
- Episode #320
- Leveling a floor, fixing a leaky water shut-off valve, air compressors… more
- Episode #319
- Composting, and removing a house trap… more
- Episode #318
Original Air Date: Week of January 31, 2005
In the barn loft, plumbing and heating expert Rich Trethewey "clears up" the mysteries of clogged bathtub drains. Then, general contractor Tom Silva helps Marblehead, Massachusetts homeowner Terry Lavelle replace his double-hung window weights with spring loaded sash balancers. Afterwards, Tom shows host Kevin O'Connor how to insulate the empty window weight pockets to prevent cold winter drafts. Then Tom, Rich, and Kevin, along with landscaping contractor Roger Cook ask, "What is it?" Finally, Roger helps a very thoughtful tenant, Brett Campbell of Arlington, Massachusetts, plant a low-maintenance garden for his elderly landlady.
Unclogging bathtub drains
Richard shows Kevin how a bathtub drain system works and the proper methods for removing clogs. He shows the "bath, waste and overflow" system and the "pop-up" assembly. He then demonstrates the most effective way to use a snake and a plunger for removing clogs.
Where to Find It
Drain snakes and plungers can be purchased at your local plumbing supply house or home center.
An Alternative to Window Weights
Tom shows how to install a sash-balance system that replaces an old window's original weight-and-pulley system. He first cuts the old sash cords, removes the pulleys, and alters the jamb opening to accommodate the new spring-balances. Tom then discusses options for insulating the empty weight cavities.
Where to Find It
Pullman Manufacturing Corp.
Rigid foam insulation and foil tape can be found at your local home center.
What Is It?
The guys try to guess the intended purpose of an unusual-looking product.
Where to Find It
Tom showed a device used to patch holes in drywall.
Planting a Low-maintenance Garden
Roger and landscape architect Stephanie Hubbard help a tenant design and plant a low-maintenance garden for his elderly landlady. Roger shows how to amend the existing soil so that the new plants get off to the right start.
Where to Find It
Halverson Design Partnership
161 Massachusetts Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-3050
- Episode #317
- Replacing rotted deck balusters, and connecting an icemaker, and stripping wallpaper
- Episode #316
- Replicating moldings, fixing an unlevel patio, and stripping wallpaper
- Episode #315
- Replacing an old storm window, winterizing shrubs, and using carbon monoxide detectors
- Episode #314
- Repairing a glass door, and pruning a Pin Oak
- Episode #313
- Planting a new lawn, and replacing a kitchen sink
- Episode #312
- Repairing cracked stucco, cleaning a lawnmower, and installing a dehumidifier pump
- Episode #311
- Learning about ladder safety and rebuilding a crumbling retaining wall
- Episode #310
- Silencing a noisy toilet, cutting crown molding, and replacing broken tile
- Episode #309
- Repairing leaky valves, replacing a cellar door, and repairing a leaky drip irrigation hose
- Episode #308
- Installing adjustable shelves, identifying a plastic guard for a tree trunk, and testing your soil before planting
- Episode #307
- Relacing a water heater's anode rod, installing a rain diverter, identifying a gutter cleaner and no-caulk flashing, and installing thermostatic valves on steam radiators
- Episode #306
- Adding window boxes, identifying a cordless drill holder, and how to install sod
- Episode #305
- Removing damaged bolts and screws; creating a walkway edge; What Is It?; jacking up a porch to fix a rotting post
- Episode #304
- Cutting a kitchen pass-through; What Is It?; stopping a toilet from running… more
- Episode #303
- Repairing a fence, restoring hot water by fixing an anti-scald valve, and installing a keyless chuck on an older drill
- Episode #302
- Replacing a clogged trap, brick walkway patterns, and covering a cracked ceiling with drywall
- Episode #301
- Edging a garden bed, choosing drill bits, identifying a nail finder, and how to use a fire extinguisher. … more