Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 2 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 2"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #226
- Replacing a storm door, identifying a paint mixer and gutter nail driver, and choosing garden tools … more
- Episode #225
- Corroded copper pipes, old-fashioned sheet metal cutter, and worn-out weather stripping
- Episode #224
- Track lighting, drywall repair clips, and noisy baseboard heaters… more
- Ask This Old House #223
- Radiant heat, a cable saw for PVC, and painting aluminum siding… more
- Episode #222
- Installing curved baseboards, buying wire by the foot, a "Nite Ize Flashlight Friend," and making maple syrup… more
- Episode #221
- Fixing a steam radiator, a "Molemover" and an invisible nailing kit, and preparing a raised garden bed for winter… more
- Episode #220
- Installing a programmable thermostat , a snowball maker and garage stopper, and fixing a plaster and lath wall… more
- Episode #219
- Cutting glass, planting vines, a stud finder and tile spacers, and venting a portable air conditioner… more
- Episode #218
- Deterring deer, making PVC connections, pipe plugs, and fixing a sagging shower door… more
- Episode #217
- Wiring for outdoor speakers, a Japanese chalk line, and planting a tree… more
- Episode #216
- Testing water quality, a duster and downspout diverter, and replacing a damaged floorboard… more
- Episode #215
- Repairing sliding doors, an electrical cord connector and ellipse marking tool, electric radiant heat, and selecting paint colors… more
- Episode #214
- Installing a brick walkway, a maple sugaring spile and "Sand Anchor" umbrella holder, and cutting accurate miters… more
- Episode #213
Original Air Date: Week of January 1
General contractor Tom Silva travels to Chicago, Illinois, to help a viewer quiet the squeaky hardwood floors in his fifth-floor apartment. Back in the loft, Tom, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, landscape contractor Roger Cook, and host Kevin O'Connor try to guess "What is it?" Then Roger helps a homeowner build a set of timber steps on a short slope outside her home.
Quieting Squeaky Hardwood Floors
Tom explained that the hardwood floors in the apartment were built using a "sleeper" system. In floors of this type, narrow strips of wood were used to separate the sub-floor from the finished floor to provide soundproofing.
Where to Find It
The "Counter Snap" break-away screws are manufactured by:
O'Berry Enterprises, Inc.
The "Blend-Fil Pencil" wax crayons are available in a range of colors. They are manufactured by Minwax.
What Is It?
Roger, Richard, Tom, and Kevin examined an unfamiliar object and tried to guess how it's used.
Where to Find It
Roger demonstrated a garden sieve (also called a "riddle") for cleaning and reusing soil. It is available from the GarrettWade tool catalog (item 18H01.01): Garrett Wade
Richard demonstrated a large, heavy-duty twist-tie. It is manufactured by Grip Twist.
Building Timber Stairs
Roger and the homeowner built a set of landscape stairs using 6" x 6" timbers. He cut the timbers with a circular saw and handsaw and treated the cut ends with a wood preservative. The timbers were anchored using a 4-foot length of rebar driven into the ground and the stair treads were secured to each other with special timber screws. Roger laid gravel around each step to provide a solid foundation for the stairs and improve drainage.
- Episode #212
- Drip irrigation repair, a "Sander Sitter" and "Forearm Forklifts," and fixing a leaky tile in a tub… more
- Episode #211
- Adding a stairway handrail, a grout saw and tile cutter, and transplanting a rhododendron… more
- Episode #210
- Installing a chimney liner, a proportioning tool, and a toilet anti-sweat valve… more
- Episode #209
- Removing poison ivy, a steel center square and pencil leash, and shingling an outside corner… more
- Episode #208
- Installing an engineered wood floor, and replacing a sink's pop-up drain… more
- Episode #207
- Planting ground cover, and opening stuck windows… more
- Episode #206
- Installing window trim, landscape camouflage, a "tape dolly," and fixing a kitchen spray hose… more
- Episode #205
- Installing a drywell, a spray paint shaker and magnetic pickup tool, and adding a shower grip bar… more
- Episode #204
- Patching drywall, sanding blocks and an antique clapboard gauge, and replacing an aged toilet… more
- Episode #203
- A slate walk, EZ Lift handles and eye-bolt driver, and repairing a shower stall leak … more
- Episode #202
- Securing a newel post, a nut splitter and paint scraper, and replacing a water heater… more
- Episode #201
- Installing a deadbolt, trimming a hedge, and installing an indirect hot water heater… more