Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 2 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 2"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #226
- Replacing a storm door, identifying a paint mixer and gutter nail driver, and choosing garden tools … more
- Episode #225
- Corroded copper pipes, old-fashioned sheet metal cutter, and worn-out weather stripping
- Episode #224
- Track lighting, drywall repair clips, and noisy baseboard heaters… more
- Ask This Old House #223
- Radiant heat, a cable saw for PVC, and painting aluminum siding… more
- Episode #222
- Installing curved baseboards, buying wire by the foot, a "Nite Ize Flashlight Friend," and making maple syrup… more
- Episode #221
- Fixing a steam radiator, a "Molemover" and an invisible nailing kit, and preparing a raised garden bed for winter… more
- Episode #220
- Installing a programmable thermostat , a snowball maker and garage stopper, and fixing a plaster and lath wall… more
- Episode #219
- Cutting glass, planting vines, a stud finder and tile spacers, and venting a portable air conditioner… more
- Episode #218
- Deterring deer, making PVC connections, pipe plugs, and fixing a sagging shower door… more
- Episode #217
- Wiring for outdoor speakers, a Japanese chalk line, and planting a tree… more
- Episode #216
- Testing water quality, a duster and downspout diverter, and replacing a damaged floorboard… more
- Episode #215
- Repairing sliding doors, an electrical cord connector and ellipse marking tool, electric radiant heat, and selecting paint colors… more
- Episode #214
- Installing a brick walkway, a maple sugaring spile and "Sand Anchor" umbrella holder, and cutting accurate miters… more
- Episode #213
- Quieting hardwood floors, a garden sieve and heavy-duty twist-tie, and building timber steps… more
- Episode #212
- Drip irrigation repair, a "Sander Sitter" and "Forearm Forklifts," and fixing a leaky tile in a tub… more
- Episode #211
Original Air Date: Week of December 18, 2003
General contractor Tom Silva helps homeowner Leverett Flint install a handrail in his spilt-level stairway. Back in the loft, Tom, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, landscape contractor Roger Cook, and host Kevin O'Connor try to guess "What is it?" Then Roger shows homeowners Mario and Jennifer Finocchiaro how to transplant a large rhododendron to another area of their yard.
Installing a Stairway Handrail
Tom showed the homeowner how to measure and install a handrail in his split-level stairway. Building code required that the handrail be installed so that the top of the rail was 32 to 34 inches above the leading edge of each stair tread.
Tom used standard handrails and mounting brackets available from most lumber yards and home centers.
He used a MultiScanner® Pro SL sensor to locate the studs in the wall. It costs about $45 and is manufactured by: Zircon
To make the mitered ends of the handrail, he used a compound miter saw (model 3802L) manufactured by: Porter-Cable Corporation
What Is It?
Roger, Richard, Tom and Kevin examined an unfamiliar object and tried to guess how it's used.
Roger demonstrated a grout saw (model #QEP10001). It has a tungsten carbide blade, costs about $3, and is manufactured by: Q.E.P. Co., Inc.
Richard demonstrated a tile cutter (model no. AO1490) manufactured by: Vitrex
Transplanting a Rhododendron
Roger showed the homeowners how to dig under the root ball of the large rhododendron, move it across their yard, and replant it at the appropriate depth.
- Episode #210
- Installing a chimney liner, a proportioning tool, and a toilet anti-sweat valve… more
- Episode #209
- Removing poison ivy, a steel center square and pencil leash, and shingling an outside corner… more
- Episode #208
- Installing an engineered wood floor, and replacing a sink's pop-up drain… more
- Episode #207
- Planting ground cover, and opening stuck windows… more
- Episode #206
- Installing window trim, landscape camouflage, a "tape dolly," and fixing a kitchen spray hose… more
- Episode #205
- Installing a drywell, a spray paint shaker and magnetic pickup tool, and adding a shower grip bar… more
- Episode #204
- Patching drywall, sanding blocks and an antique clapboard gauge, and replacing an aged toilet… more
- Episode #203
- A slate walk, EZ Lift handles and eye-bolt driver, and repairing a shower stall leak … more
- Episode #202
- Securing a newel post, a nut splitter and paint scraper, and replacing a water heater… more
- Episode #201
- Installing a deadbolt, trimming a hedge, and installing an indirect hot water heater… more