Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 1 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 1"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #126
- Clearing a toilet stoppage, identifying an insulated outdoor faucet cover, installing folding attic stairs, and starting tomato plants from seeds… more
- Episode #125
- Repair an exterior door jamb with a dutchman, identifying a bucket leveler and a cow magnet, and installing an automatic shutoff on a water heater… more
- Episode #124
- Installing a new garbage disposer, identifying a combination drywall lift and rasp, and using hearing protection… more
- Episode #123
- Installing crown molding, identifying a paint can spout and drain cleaning tool, and insulating bathroom pipes to prevent freezing… more
- Episode #122
- Repairing a leaky shower tub faucet, identifying a door knob cover, removing painted wallpaper, and hot glue guns… more
- Episode #121
- Using snow shovels and snow throwers, identifying a mechanical stud finder and a post growth preventer, and repairing broken sash cords on an old window… more
- Episode #120
- Repairing a damaged window sill, identifying plant drainage pads and a wood grainer decorator tool, using paint rollers, and sharpening kitchen knives… more
- Episode #119
- Insulating the weight pockets on old windows, identifying a light stand and profile gauge, and installing a sewage ejection pump … more
- Episode #118
- Keeping debris out of rain gutters, identifying an electrical outlet box mounting tool and insulation knife, and repairing a wobbly toilet… more
- Episode #117
- Automatic washer/dryer shutoff valves, identifying a pin vise and rain gutter filter, preparing drywall joints, and different types of plumbing torches… more
- Episode #116
- Painting a double-hung window, aerating and fertilizing a lawn, identifying a paint mixer and a foam router bit tray, and hanging a picture on a hollow wall… more
- Episode #115
- Removing ivy from a house, identifying a titanium hammer and portable leaf bag system, and installing a replacement window … more
- Episode #114
- Installing a scald-proof shower faucet, robotic lawn mowers, and "critter-proofing" a house… more
- Episode #113
- Using a paint sprayer, replacing a fireplace damper, identifying a dressing tool and panel carrier, and splitting logs for firewood… more
- Episode #112
Original Air Date: Week of December 26, 2002
In the loft, general contractor Tom Silva shows different types of store-bought sawhorses and teaches Steve how to build a pair from scratch. Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey hits the road and installs a new frost-proof outdoor faucet for a homeowner. Back in the loft, Tom, Richard, landscape contractor Roger Cook, and host Steve Thomas examine two unfamiliar objects and try to guess how they're used. Roger then shows Steve how to collect and compost leaves.
Sawhorses and brackets available from: Do it Best
Frost-proof sillcocks can be purchased inlengths from 8 inches to 16 inches, based on the width of the exteriorwall.
Where to Find It
The sillcock is a common plumbing fixture available from yourlocal plumbing supply company or home center.
What Is It?
Bulb Extractor (Model LBC-800) manufactured by: Lehigh
Collecting and Composting Leaves
Roger shows Steve how to collect and compost leaves.
Where to Find It
Roger and Steve used a Husqvarna blower to collect leaves:
Husqvarna Forest & Garden Co.
The gutter cleaning attachment is manufactured by Weedeater (model GA2010) and is available at most home centers and hardware stores for about $30:
To help collect the leaves and put them in the compost bin, Steve used a pair of Leaf Scoops manufactured by:
- Episode #111
- Different types of hand pruners, repairing and reinstalling broken shutters, identifying a spray paint trigger and a putty remover, and instantaneous water heaters… more
- Episode #110
- Diagnosing a loud washing machine, cleaning a slippery walkway, identifying a plug wrench and a high-limb chain saw, using spirit levels, and fixing a leaky faucet … more
- Episode #109
- Replacing a basement window, installing a dryer vent, painting a six-panel door, installing a new power outlet, and replacing the string on a weed trimmer… more
- Episode #108
- Cutting wooden bung holes for decking, diagnosing peeling paint, identifying a joint raker and a sawdust remover, and building an outdoor lattice… more
- Episode #107
- Repairing a sagging floor, and sharpening a chainsaw… more
- Episode #106
- Using plaster washers to fix a cracked ceiling, rebuilding a toilet, grinding a tree stump, and reglazing a window … more
- Episode #105
- Two types of floor sanders, digging post holes, replacing a corroded pipe, and proper caulking technique… more
- Episode #104
- Installing an air eliminator valve, removing trim pieces, and filling gaps in wood floors… more
- Episode #103
- Covering a concrete stoop, and battling the mosquitoes… more
- Episode #102
- Assembling a plumbing toolkit, quieting a garage door, and installing artificial turf… more
- Episode #101
- Repairing a window screen, collecting rainwater, and adding headroom on a staircase