Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 12 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 12"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #1226 of Season 12 of ATOH
- This special episode is all about renovating kitchens.This special episode is all about renovating kitchens. Tom and Kevin help a homeowner install new cabinets. Richard shows many options for countertops. And Kevin visits the Cleveland home and restaurant kitchens of Chef Michael Symon for ideas and inspiration.… more
- Episode #1225 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
Original Air Date: Week of April 24, 2014
Electrician Scott Caron replaces outdated fluorescent undercabinet lights with new LED fixtures. Roger and Kevin demonstrate how to work with concrete. Richard teaches Tom about the potential energy savings of temperature setbacks on thermostats.
Undercabinet Task Lighting
Scott Caron replaces outdated fluorescent undercabinet lights with new LED fixtures. He also adds convenient undercabinet outlets, including a USB outlet for charging phones and tablets.
Scott installed the Pro-Series LED Undercabinet Fixture, manufactured by the Juno Lighting Group, which is available at specialty lighting stores.
The dimmer switch that is designed to work with LED fixtures is the C-L Dimmer, manufactured by Lutron and available at home centers.
The undercabinet outlets with standard and USB receptacles is Plugmold Multi-Outlet Strips, manufactured by Legrand.
Back in the workshop, Scott demonstrated some innovative USB options, including a USB adapter for a power tool battery manufactured by Dewalt and USB outlets manufactured by Leviton.
Scott also showed some LED replacement lamps, which are all available at home centers and hardware stores.
Expert assistance with this project was provided by Caron Electric and Wolfers Lighting.
What Is It?
Richard presents a metal and plastic device with feet and the guys try to guess its intended use.
Where to find it?
Richard demonstrated the BioLite camp stove, which burns kindling and can charge a cell phone.
Roger and Kevin demonstrate ways to work with concrete.
Where to find it?
Roger teaches the differences between different masonry materials. Portland cement is added to many other mixes. Concrete is a mix of sand, stone, and Portland cement. A mortar mix is made of Portland cement, sand, and lime, and is used for bricks and stones above ground. Below ground, he uses a cement mix of Portland cement and sand.
Roger showed how to mix concrete by combining 3-parts sand, 2-parts stone (sometimes called aggregate), and 1-part Portland cement in a wheelbarrow. A power mixer can be rented.
Once the concrete is added to a form, Roger uses a trowel to smooth off the top, or he uses a push broom to add a slip resistant finish. He then uses an edger to round off the edge of the concrete, and then uses a groover to create a controlled joint for the concrete to crack.
Masonry materials and tools are available at home centers and masonry supply stores.
Expert assistance with this project was provided by Martignetti Enterprises, Inc.. Thermostat Setbacks
Richard and Tom discuss whether or not setting back a thermostat saves energy and money
Where to find it?
In most circumstances, thermostat setbacks will save energy. However, there are a few situations in which setbacks may not make sense, including heat pumps with electric resistance back-up, radiant systems with long recovery times, and homes with very tight building envelopes.
For more information, visit: energy.gov/energysaver/articles/thermostats
Expert assistance with this project was provided by Nest Labs.
- Episode #1224 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- In this special episode, we make several important improvements.… more
- Episode #1223 of Season Twelve of Ask TOH
- Tom and Kevin build a simple table from solid fir, and Kevin works with a wood finishing expert to stain and finish it.… more
- Episode #1222 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- In this special program, the guys celebrate 300 episodes of "Ask This Old House" by looking back at some of their best moments and revealing some behind-the-scenes secrets.… more
- Episode #1221 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Richard helps a homeowner replace a shower valve that shuts off mysteriously.… more
- Episode #1220 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Roger helps a homeowner plant a low-cost, low-maintenance privacy screen.… more
- Episode #1219 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Roger shows Kevin how to start plants from seed.… more
- Episode #1218 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Richard helps a homeowner in New Hampshire quiet a squealing shower.… more
- Episode #1217 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Roger visits Biloxi, Mississippi where he builds a high tunnel greenhouse with a homeowner… more
- Episode #1216 of Season 12 of Ask This TOH
- Richard visits a historic home in Mobile, Alabama and installs a clawfoot tub with shower. … more
- Episode #1215 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Tom helps a homeowner fit a boxspring mattress up a narrow staircase.… more
- Episode #1214 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Tom repairs a rotted porch post. Richard visits New Orleans to help a family deal with high indoor humidity.… more
- Episode #1213 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Roger visits Santa Fe to learn about "waffle gardening," a method of growing vegetables in an arid climate.… more
- Episode #1212 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Tom heads to Seattle to install crown molding. Roger replaces a rotted fence post.… more
- Episode #1211 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Tom heads to Seattle to install crown molding. Roger replaces a rotted fence post. Kevin explains the difference between cement, concrete, and mortar. And the guys ask "What Is It?"… more
- Episode #1210 of Season twelve of ATOH
- Roger visits New Mexico to install an irrigation system designed to work in a desert climate.… more
- Episode #1209 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Tom demonstrates many uses for a router. Richard replaces an air conditioning unit that freezes when it runs. And the guys ask "What Is It?"… more
- Episode #1208 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- In this special episode, Richard visits Oklahoma to install a safe room for tornado protection… more
- Episode #1207 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Roger and a homeowner plant a maple tree. Richard heads to Indianapolis to begin work on a new master bathroom in a basement. And the guys ask What Is It?… more
- Episode #1206 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Tommy and Kevin replace a leaky skylight. Richard repairs a noisy toilet. And the guys ask "What Is It?"… more
- Episode #1205 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Kevin visits Santa Fe and explores the Santa Fe style of architecture.… more
- Episode #1204 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Tom installs a pre-hung front door. Roger plants in big containers. And "What Is It?"… more
- Episode #1203 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Richard replaces a leaking kitchen faucet with a new hands-free model. Kevin explains rechargeable batteries.… more
- Episode #1202 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Roger builds a garden bed for chile pepper plants in New Mexico. Richard repairs a leaky toilet with a worn out flange. And the guys ask "What Is It?"… more
- Episode #1201 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- The twelfth season of Ask This Old House begins with Kevin teaching the guys how to use Twitter… more