Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 12 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 12"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #1226 of Season 12 of ATOH
- This special episode is all about renovating kitchens.This special episode is all about renovating kitchens. Tom and Kevin help a homeowner install new cabinets. Richard shows many options for countertops. And Kevin visits the Cleveland home and restaurant kitchens of Chef Michael Symon for ideas and inspiration.… more
- Episode #1225 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Electrician Scott Caron replaces outdated fluorescent undercabinet lights with new LED fixtures.… more
- Episode #1224 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- In this special episode, we make several important improvements.… more
- Episode #1223 of Season Twelve of Ask TOH
Original Air Date: Week of April 10, 2014
Tom and Kevin build a simple table from solid fir, and Kevin works with a wood finishing expert to stain and finish it. Roger shows a homeowner how to get rid of tree stumps. And Richard discusses the state of solar energy.
Building a Simple Table
Tom shows Kevin how to build a simple table from solid fir.
Where to find it?
To build this table, Tom used stock fir that is normally used for building decks, including:
½" x 6" decking for the top
1" x 4" decking for the spreaders or rails to which the legs attach
2" x 2" balusters for the legs
These items are available at many lumber yards. If you can't find fir, consider other quality softwoods like pine for cedar. Hardwoods, like maple or oak, may also be used.
To attach the rails to the legs, Tom used a pocket hole jig and pocket screws, all manufactured by Kreg Tool Company and available at home centers and woodworking supply stores.
To attach the rails to the tabletop, Tom used a double washer designed for fastening tabletops and available at woodworking supply stores.
Expert assistance with this project was provided by Anderson & McQuaid Co, Inc.
See below for more information about staining and finishing the table.
Removing Tree Stumps
Roger uses two different techniques to help a homeowner get rid of tree stumps.
Where to find it?
For the first stump, Roger hand dug the stump using shovels and then cut the roots using loppers, a pruning saw, a reciprocating saw with a pruning blade, and a digging bar. All of these items are available at home centers.
To remove the second stump, Roger used a gas-powered stump grinder, which a homeowner can rent from a tool rental shop.
Current State of Solar Energy
Richard and Kevin discuss the current state of solar energy technology.
Where to find it?
Richard described the two primary types of solar power: solar thermal, which produces hot water, and photovoltaic (PV), which generates electricity.
Richard also described leases and Power Purchase Agreements (PPA) for solar photovoltaic systems. These financial arrangements usually have a low out-of-pocket cost for homeowners. With a PPA, the solar provider owns the panels but the homeowner shares some benefits.
A solar contractor is the best resource to determine the right system for your home and whether an ownership, a Power Purchase agreement, or lease makes the most sense in your application.
Expert assistance with this project was provided by Renewable Sales, LLC.
Staining and Finishing Wood
Finishing expert Bruce Johnson shows Kevin some tips for staining unfinished furniture. Together, they finish the table Tom built.
Where to find it?
Bruce recommends hand-sanding a piece first using 120 grit, then a finer grit up to 150-180.
He then recommends using a wood conditioner to prevent uneven stain absorption that can result in blotchiness.
Bruce applied an oil-based stain in the color "gunstock." Once the stain is dry, he applied an oil-based polyurethane for protection.
The wood conditioner, stain, and polyurethane are all manufactured by Minwax and available at home centers and hardware stores.
Expert assistance with this project was provided by Bruce Johnson.
- Episode #1222 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- In this special program, the guys celebrate 300 episodes of "Ask This Old House" by looking back at some of their best moments and revealing some behind-the-scenes secrets.… more
- Episode #1221 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Richard helps a homeowner replace a shower valve that shuts off mysteriously.… more
- Episode #1220 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Roger helps a homeowner plant a low-cost, low-maintenance privacy screen.… more
- Episode #1219 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Roger shows Kevin how to start plants from seed.… more
- Episode #1218 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Richard helps a homeowner in New Hampshire quiet a squealing shower.… more
- Episode #1217 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Roger visits Biloxi, Mississippi where he builds a high tunnel greenhouse with a homeowner… more
- Episode #1216 of Season 12 of Ask This TOH
- Richard visits a historic home in Mobile, Alabama and installs a clawfoot tub with shower. … more
- Episode #1215 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Tom helps a homeowner fit a boxspring mattress up a narrow staircase.… more
- Episode #1214 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Tom repairs a rotted porch post. Richard visits New Orleans to help a family deal with high indoor humidity.… more
- Episode #1213 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Roger visits Santa Fe to learn about "waffle gardening," a method of growing vegetables in an arid climate.… more
- Episode #1212 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Tom heads to Seattle to install crown molding. Roger replaces a rotted fence post.… more
- Episode #1211 of Season 12 of ATOH
- Tom heads to Seattle to install crown molding. Roger replaces a rotted fence post. Kevin explains the difference between cement, concrete, and mortar. And the guys ask "What Is It?"… more
- Episode #1210 of Season twelve of ATOH
- Roger visits New Mexico to install an irrigation system designed to work in a desert climate.… more
- Episode #1209 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Tom demonstrates many uses for a router. Richard replaces an air conditioning unit that freezes when it runs. And the guys ask "What Is It?"… more
- Episode #1208 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- In this special episode, Richard visits Oklahoma to install a safe room for tornado protection… more
- Episode #1207 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Roger and a homeowner plant a maple tree. Richard heads to Indianapolis to begin work on a new master bathroom in a basement. And the guys ask What Is It?… more
- Episode #1206 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Tommy and Kevin replace a leaky skylight. Richard repairs a noisy toilet. And the guys ask "What Is It?"… more
- Episode #1205 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Kevin visits Santa Fe and explores the Santa Fe style of architecture.… more
- Episode #1204 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Tom installs a pre-hung front door. Roger plants in big containers. And "What Is It?"… more
- Episode #1203 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Richard replaces a leaking kitchen faucet with a new hands-free model. Kevin explains rechargeable batteries.… more
- Episode #1202 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- Roger builds a garden bed for chile pepper plants in New Mexico. Richard repairs a leaky toilet with a worn out flange. And the guys ask "What Is It?"… more
- Episode #1201 of Season 12 of Ask TOH
- The twelfth season of Ask This Old House begins with Kevin teaching the guys how to use Twitter… more