Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 11 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 11"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #1126 of Season 11 of Ask TOH
- Host Kevin O'Connor travels to Chicago to learn how subway trains are serviced… more
- Episode #1125 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Host Kevin O'Connor works with an expert to fabricate and install custom concrete countertops.… more
- Episode #1124 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Master electrician Scott Caron installs several types of surge protection… more
- Episode #1123 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- General contractor Tom Silva and host Kevin O'Connor demonstrate how to use all types of ladders safely… more
- Episode #1122 of Season 11 of AskTOH
Original Air Date: Week of February 28, 2013
General contractor Tom Silva helps a homeowner solve the mystery of her melted vinyl siding. Then, Tom, along with host Kevin O'Connor, landscape contractor Roger Cook, and plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey ask "What Is It?" Afterward, Kevin and a specialist perform a whole-house energy audit.
Melted Vinyl Siding
Tom helps a homeowner solve the mystery of her melted vinyl siding.
Where to find it?
Tom determined that the siding had melted due to the reflection of sunlight from a nearby window. The window had a low-E coating that reflected heat off the glass. Tom suggested shading the window with a tree or an awning, but in this case, the best choice was to install a screen over the window.
This phenomenon has occurred in many locations. Home builders, vinyl siding manufacturers, and window manufacturers are working to address the problem. Click here for more information from the Vinyl Siding Institute.
For more information, please see this academic research paper from the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. What Is It?
Roger asks the guys to identify a large black plastic mat.
Roger demonstrated the Kwickan, designed for easy leaf cleanup and manufactured by LTL Home Products, Inc.
Whole-House Energy Audit
Kevin and a specialist perform a whole-house energy audit.
Where to find it?
A professional whole-house energy assessment will examine your home's insulation, appliances, lighting, and heating & cooling systems. It will also determine how airtight your home is. At the end of the assessment, the technician will provide a written report identifying and prioritizing the steps you can take to save energy. For more information about energy audits, visit this U.S. Department of Energy website.
Our energy audit was conducted by Next Step Living.
The Infra-red camera used in the audit is manufactured by FLIR.
The smoke pencil and inflatable chimney damper are manufactured by Chimney Balloon.
- Episode #1121 of Season 1 of AskTOH
- Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey and host Kevin O'Connor install a ductless heat pump to heat and cool a room… more
- Episode #1120 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey visits Cortland, Illinois, to learn how corn is harvested and then to help a homeowner insulate ductwork… more
- Episode #1119 of Season 11 of Ask TOH
- Episode #1119 of Season Eleven of Ask This Old House… more
- Episode #1118 of Season 11 if AskTOH
- In the workshop, general contractor Tom Silva and host Kevin O'Connor build a storage bench for an entryway… more
- Episode #1117 of season 11 of AskTOH
- Host Kevin O'Connor meets appliance repairman Richie Isaacson to learn how to maintain kitchen appliances… more
- Episode #1116 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Master electrician Scott Caron helps a homeowner hang a flat panel television on the wall and conceal all the wiring… more
- Episode #1115 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey heads to Cheyenne, Wyoming to help a homeowner install a toilet… more
- Episode #1114 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Host Kevin O'Connor heads to Del Ray Beach, Florida to restore Terrazzo floors… more
- Episode #1113 of Season 1 of AskTOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook helps a homeowner temporarily transplant a mature rose bush while exterior work takes place… more
- Episode #1112 of Season 1 of AskTOH
- Host Kevin O'Connor and electrician Scott Caron head to Denver to install a ceiling fan on a cathedral ceiling… more
- Episode #1111 of Season 11 of ASK TOH
- In the workshop, general contractor Tom Silva demonstrates the proper way to use hand planes… more
- Episode #1110 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook shows a homeowner how to properly mulch his garden beds… more
- Episode #1109 of Season 11 of ATOH
- General contractor Tom Silva installs interior window trim… more
- Episode #1108 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook works with a fencing contractor to install a vinyl privacy fence… more
- Episode #1107 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey heads to Colorado Springs to install a brand new kitchen sink and faucet… more
- Episode #1106 of Season 11 of ATOH
- In this special episode, the guys visit New York City… more
- Episode #1105 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook heads to Miami to help a homeowner plant several varieties of palm trees in her front yard… more
- Episode #1104 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook helps a homeowner lay sod in his backyard… more
- Episode #1103 of Season 11 of ATOH
- General contractor Tom Silva builds a custom fireplace mantel for a homeowner… more
- Episode #1102 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook helps a homeowner install a bluestone patio in an urban backyard.… more
- Episode #1101 of Season 11 of ATOH
- General contractor Tom Silva kicks off the 11th season of Ask This Old House by helping a couple transform stock shelving into a custom built-in… more