Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 11 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 11"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #1126 of Season 11 of Ask TOH
- Host Kevin O'Connor travels to Chicago to learn how subway trains are serviced… more
- Episode #1125 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Host Kevin O'Connor works with an expert to fabricate and install custom concrete countertops.… more
- Episode #1124 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Master electrician Scott Caron installs several types of surge protection… more
- Episode #1123 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- General contractor Tom Silva and host Kevin O'Connor demonstrate how to use all types of ladders safely… more
- Episode #1122 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- General contractor Tom Silva helps a homeowner solve the mystery of her melted vinyl siding… more
- Episode #1121 of Season 1 of AskTOH
Original Air Date: Week of February 21, 2013
Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey and host Kevin O'Connor install a ductless heat pump to heat and cool a room. Then, Richard, Kevin, landscape contractor Roger Cook, and general contractor Tom Silva ask "What Is It?" Master electrician Scott Caron demonstrates new technologies and applications for LED lighting. And Roger shows how to select the best houseplants for different situations.
Installing a Ductless Heat Pump
Richard and Kevin install a ductless heat pump to heat and cool a room.
Where to find it?
Richard and Kevin installed a Mr. Slim ductless heat pump, model number MUZ-FE18NA, that provides 18,000 BTU/hour of cooling. It is manufactured by Mitsubishi Electric.
Expert design and installation of this system was provided by NETR, Inc.
What Is It?
Tom asks the guys to identify a long blue pole with a hook on the end.
Where to find it?
Tom demonstrated the VertaLok gutter cleaning system, a gutter cleaner that attaches to a cordless drill. It is manufactured by Gardus Inc.
Viewer Tip: Driving Eye Screws
Tom shares a viewer tip for driving eye screws.
Where to find it?
A viewer suggested attaching an allen wrench to a cordless drill to drive an eye screw. All of these materials are available at hardware stores and home centers.
Master electrician Scott Caron shows new technologies and applications for LED lighting.
Where to find it?
The LED flashlight that Scott demonstrated is the Mini Maglite LED Flashlight, manufactured by Maglite.
Incandescent C9-style Christmas lights are available at most home centers and hardware store during the holidays. The LED Christmas lights that draw significantly less power are the LED Colorite C-9 lights, manufactured by GE and available at The Home Depot.
Scott showed the Eco-575L LED retrofit option for recessed lights, manufactured by Cree and available at home centers.
The light that can be used to retrofit recessed fixtures or can be flush-mounted to 4" boxes is the Traverse by Sea Gull Lighting.
The colored strip light is the Dioder, manufactured by IKEA.
The alarm clock that mimics a sunrise is the Wake Up Light, manufactured by Philips.
The LED light bulb that can be controlled from a smart phone or tablet is the Hue, also manufactured by Philips.
The powerful LED lamp that uses 120 watts is the LB120 Blaster Light, manufactured by Lumateq.
Roger and expert Carrie Kelly discuss how to select houseplants for different situations.
Where to find it?
Expert assistance with this project was provided by Carrie Kelly of Mahoney's Garden Centers.
Carrie featured several varieties of houseplants, including:
Lemon Tree (Citrus x meyeri)
Gardenia (Gardenia augusta)
Stephanotis (Stephanotis floribunda)
Paperwhites (Narcissus tazetta)
Clean Air Plants:
Areca Palm (Chrysalidocarpus lutescens)
Lady Palm (Rhapis excelsa)
Rubber Plant (Ficus robusta)
Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum sp.)
Mother-in-Law's Tongue(Sansevieria trifasciata)
Any plant in the Dracaena family
ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia)
Bay (Laurus nobilis)
Oregano (Origanum vulgare)
Basil (Ocimum basilicum)
Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
- Episode #1120 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey visits Cortland, Illinois, to learn how corn is harvested and then to help a homeowner insulate ductwork… more
- Episode #1119 of Season 11 of Ask TOH
- Episode #1119 of Season Eleven of Ask This Old House… more
- Episode #1118 of Season 11 if AskTOH
- In the workshop, general contractor Tom Silva and host Kevin O'Connor build a storage bench for an entryway… more
- Episode #1117 of season 11 of AskTOH
- Host Kevin O'Connor meets appliance repairman Richie Isaacson to learn how to maintain kitchen appliances… more
- Episode #1116 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Master electrician Scott Caron helps a homeowner hang a flat panel television on the wall and conceal all the wiring… more
- Episode #1115 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey heads to Cheyenne, Wyoming to help a homeowner install a toilet… more
- Episode #1114 of Season 11 of AskTOH
- Host Kevin O'Connor heads to Del Ray Beach, Florida to restore Terrazzo floors… more
- Episode #1113 of Season 1 of AskTOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook helps a homeowner temporarily transplant a mature rose bush while exterior work takes place… more
- Episode #1112 of Season 1 of AskTOH
- Host Kevin O'Connor and electrician Scott Caron head to Denver to install a ceiling fan on a cathedral ceiling… more
- Episode #1111 of Season 11 of ASK TOH
- In the workshop, general contractor Tom Silva demonstrates the proper way to use hand planes… more
- Episode #1110 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook shows a homeowner how to properly mulch his garden beds… more
- Episode #1109 of Season 11 of ATOH
- General contractor Tom Silva installs interior window trim… more
- Episode #1108 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook works with a fencing contractor to install a vinyl privacy fence… more
- Episode #1107 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey heads to Colorado Springs to install a brand new kitchen sink and faucet… more
- Episode #1106 of Season 11 of ATOH
- In this special episode, the guys visit New York City… more
- Episode #1105 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook heads to Miami to help a homeowner plant several varieties of palm trees in her front yard… more
- Episode #1104 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook helps a homeowner lay sod in his backyard… more
- Episode #1103 of Season 11 of ATOH
- General contractor Tom Silva builds a custom fireplace mantel for a homeowner… more
- Episode #1102 of Season 11 of ATOH
- Landscape contractor Roger Cook helps a homeowner install a bluestone patio in an urban backyard.… more
- Episode #1101 of Season 11 of ATOH
- General contractor Tom Silva kicks off the 11th season of Ask This Old House by helping a couple transform stock shelving into a custom built-in… more