Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 6 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 6"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #626
- Rebuilding a toilet tank, Lawn Watering, Building a simple bookcase… more
- Episode #625
- Installing a water pressure reducing valve, Choosing the best types of grass seed, What is it?, Installing crown molding on kitchen cabinets… more
- Episode #624
- Replacing broken tile, Cutting ceramic and stone tile, Installing glass tile on a kitchen backsplash… more
- Episode #623
- Overseeding a lawn using a slice seeder, Viewer tip, Preparing a home for sale, Finding and fixing a mysterious plumbing leak … more
- Episode #622
- Installing granite steps, Choosing "Keyless" Deadbolts, Replacing polybutylene water piping… more
- Episode #621
- Installing an old full-mortise lockset into a new door, Installing a pellet stove, Non-Gasoline Lawn Mowers… more
- Episode #620
- Building a soccer goal with PVC pipe, Building stilts, Building a sandbox… more
- Episode #619
- Increasing attic insulation, Installing landscape lighting, Replacing an old kitchen faucet… more
- Episode #618
Original Air Date: Week of January 31, 2008
Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey heads to Phoenix, Arizona to help a pair of homeowners install a new water softening system. Then, general contractor Tom Silva shows a homeowner how to install fiber-cement shingles on his new backyard shed.
Installing a Water Softener
Richard traveled to Phoenix, Arizona, where he and a local contractor helped a pair of homeowners by installing a new water softening system. Phoenix has particularly hard water, which contains high levels of calcium, magnesium, and other minerals. While not harmful to humans, pets or plants, these minerals can clog faucets and prevent soaps and detergents from working properly.
Where to find it?
Richard and a local contractor installed a new water softening system.
Manufacturer: Culligan International Co.
One Culligan Parkway
Northbrook, IL 60062
Additional support provided by:
City of Phoenix: Water Services Dept.
Installing fiber-cement siding
Tom helps a homeowner install fiber-cement "panels" on his backyard shed that are designed to look like individual wood shingles. First, Tom showed how to layout the "coursing" using a chalk line and "swing stick." Next, he cut the panels to size using a circular saw with a special fiber-cement blade and fastened the panels with galvanized roofing nails.
Where to find it?
Tom installed fiber-cement panels made to look like individual wood shingles when installed.
Manufacturer: James Hardie
26300 La Alameda, Suite 250
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
Malco Products, Inc. PO Box 400 14080 State Highway 55 NW Annandale, MN 55302-0400 800-328-3530 www.malcoproducts.com
The homeowner built the shed from plans purchased from:
The New Yankee Workshop™
Item #0610 "Storage Shed"
- Episode #617
- Improving a lawn, What is it?, Water Supply Piping… more
- Episode #616
- Replacing a leaky skylight, What is it?, Repairing a 3-way light switch… more
- Episode #615
- The ATOH crew repairs a smelly dishwasher, transplants a rosebush, changes a circular saw blade, and plays another exciting round of What Is It?… more
- Episode #614
- Installing thermostatic radiator valves on hydronic radiators, What is it?, Making a refrigerator fit into an opening that is too small, Viewer tip… more
- Episode #613
- Installing a vinyl fence, Installing an epoxy coating on a garage floor… more
- Episode #612
- Determining landscape grades, What is it?, Seeing inside walls, Repairing a bathtub drain that won't hold water… more
- Episode #611
- Improving front steps with bluestone, What is it?, Installing a propane kitchen stove… more
- Episode #610
- Diverting storm runoff to a "rain garden," What is it?, Refinishing a wood floor … more
- Episode #609
- Picking a Christmas tree, What is it?, Safety equipment, Caulking a leaky window… more
- Episode #608
- Improving a muddy backyard, Choosing space heaters, Preventing condensation in a bathroom fan… more
- Episode #607
- Installing replacement windows, Heating water more efficiency, Home energy audit… more
- Episode #606
- Removing a dangerous tree, What is it?, Installing interior door trim… more
- Episode #605
- Repairing a jammed garbage disposer, What is it?, Stripping exterior paint, Drilling and notching in joists … more
- Episode #604
- Preventing floods, Removing and replacing foundation plants, What is it?, Fixing rotted wood with epoxy… more
- Episode #603
- Replacing a toilet flange, What is it?, Repairing cracked plaster, Viewer Tip… more
- Episode #602
- Carpentry squares, What is it?, Installing a patio using concrete bricks… more
- Episode #601
- Replacing a bathtub drain trap, What is it?, Repairing a cracked drywall ceiling… more