Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 5 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 5"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #526
- Building a Workbench and What Is It?… more
- Episode #525
- Lawn Mowing and Edging Basics, What is it?, Repairing and maintaining electric water heaters, Repairing a broken stair tread … more
- Episode #524
- Replacing a damaged mailbox post,Repointing Brickwork … more
- Episode #523
- Installing a new radiator/towel bar warmer, What is it?, Controlling crabgrass … more
- Episode #522
- Replacing a corroded shut-off valve with a "compression" fitting, What is it?, Selecting and planting "climbing" roses … more
- Episode #521
- Installing composite decking with hidden fasteners, Quieting a noisy steam radiator… more
- Episode #520
Original Air Date: Week of February 15, 2007
Landscaping contractor Roger Cook shows a homeowner how the brick stairs in front of his house have created a blistering "micro-climate," causing damage to an adjacent shrub. Together, they remove the ailing shrub and replace it with a heat-tolerant yew. Then Roger, along with host Kevin O'Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, and plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey ask, "What is it?" Afterward, Tom improves the ventilation in an attic by installing a solar-powered roof fan.
Replacing a shrub
Roger helps a homeowner with a "dwarf" alberta spruce tree that is planted near the entrance of the house. Roger finds two problems: Spider mites have killed off part of the bush. The other problem is that the bush is located in a sunny spot next to a large masonry front stoop. This area collects a lot of heat thereby causing stress to the plant. Roger describes this as a "microclimate" and recommends replacing the shrub with a heat-tolerant yew. Together, they remove the old tree, dig a larger hole to receive the new plant, amend the soil, and plant the yew.
Where to Find It
Shrubs such as the dwarf alberta spruce and yew are available at your local garden center. For more information about gardening in microclimates, visit: www.gardening.cornell.edu/weather/microcli.html
What is it?
The guys try to guess the intended purpose of an unusual-looking product.
Where to Find It
Tom showed an electric pump used for filtering and recycling used turkey fryer oil.
Miracle Frying Oil Pump
Supplier: Sportsman's Recipes, Inc.
Installing a roof-mounted attic fan
Tom helps a homeowner with poor ventilation in his attic. The existing ridge vent and soffit vents aren't doing enough to ventilate moisture and excess heat from the attic. Tom recommends tightening up any voids in the insulation and installing solar-powered attic fans. The fans will be mounted on the south side of the roof for best exposure to the sun throughout the day. Tom cuts a hole through the roof near the peak. He then removes a few shingles, installs the fan, and reinstalls the shingles around the fan's flashing.
Where to Find It
Solar Star® by Solatube
Manufacturer: Solatube International, Inc.
Up in the loft, Tom showed another attic fan made by a different manufacturer.
SolarCool Attic Vent
Manufacturer: Air Vent, Inc.
- Episode #519
- Refinishing cast-iron radiators, Installing a standby electric generator… more
- Episode #518
- Patching a damaged vinyl floor, What is it?, Repairing a leaking in-ground sprinkler system… more
- Episode #517
- Shopping for and installing wall-to-wall carpet, What is it?, Table saw safety… more
- Episode #516
- Removing an overgrown Juniper bush, Coiling an extension cord, Replacing a pop-up assembly in a pedestal sink … more
- Episode #515
- Clearing clogged drains, What is it?, Install Kitchen Cabinets… more
- Episode #514
- Prune a willow tree, fix a hot-water heater… more
- Episode #513
- Mulching, Sash Balancers … more
- Episode #512
- Shower Valve, Recycling Batteries … more
- Episode #511
- Cedar Clapboards, Chainsaw Etiquette … more
- Episode #510
- Kitchen Backsplash, Installing Sod … more
- Episode #509
- Child safety, What is It?, Installing a sump pump… more
- Episode #508
- Maintaining stone countertops, what is it?, Installing a chain link fence… more
- Episode #507
- Home Energy Audit, what is it?, Removing a toilet seat with corroded bolts… more
- Episode #506
- Rebuilding a small exterior deck and stairs.… more
- Episode #505
- Planting flower bulbs in fall, making straight rip cuts with a circular saw, what is it?… more
- Episode #504
- Installing garage storage cabinets, What is it?, Installing a ceiling fan… more
- Episode #503
- Installing a new shower base, Installing a rain barrel… more
- Episode #502
- Replacing a clogged faucet aerator, Selecting houseplants, Quieting a squeaky subfloor under carpet… more
- Episode #501
- Repairing a bathroom door, planting a bamboo privacy screen, what is it?… more