Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 5 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 5"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #526
- Building a Workbench and What Is It?… more
- Episode #525
- Lawn Mowing and Edging Basics, What is it?, Repairing and maintaining electric water heaters, Repairing a broken stair tread … more
- Episode #524
- Replacing a damaged mailbox post,Repointing Brickwork … more
- Episode #523
- Installing a new radiator/towel bar warmer, What is it?, Controlling crabgrass … more
- Episode #522
- Replacing a corroded shut-off valve with a "compression" fitting, What is it?, Selecting and planting "climbing" roses … more
- Episode #521
- Installing composite decking with hidden fasteners, Quieting a noisy steam radiator… more
- Episode #520
- Replacing a Shub, What is it?, Installing a roof-mounted attic fan… more
- Episode #519
- Refinishing cast-iron radiators, Installing a standby electric generator… more
- Episode #518
- Patching a damaged vinyl floor, What is it?, Repairing a leaking in-ground sprinkler system… more
- Episode #517
- Shopping for and installing wall-to-wall carpet, What is it?, Table saw safety… more
- Episode #516
- Removing an overgrown Juniper bush, Coiling an extension cord, Replacing a pop-up assembly in a pedestal sink … more
- Episode #515
- Clearing clogged drains, What is it?, Install Kitchen Cabinets… more
- Episode #514
- Prune a willow tree, fix a hot-water heater… more
- Episode #513
- Mulching, Sash Balancers … more
- Episode #512
Original Air Date: Week of December 23, 2006
Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey heads to San Francisco to help a homeowner repair an old shower mixing valve. Then Richard, along with host Kevin O'Connor, landscaping contractor Roger Cook, and general contractor Tom Silva ask, "What is it?" Then, up in the loft, Kevin and Tom are joined by battery expert Tim Pugh to discuss battery technology in cordless tools and proper recycling of batteries.
Replacing a shower mixing valve
The homeowner complains that his shower that won't provide full water pressure when both hot and cold water are mixed together. Richard determines that the problem is with the pressure-balancing cartridge inside the mixing valve and he takes the homeowner to a local plumbing supply company to get the necessary repair parts. While there, Richard also asks for a new trim package, which will update the look of the valve. Back at the condominium, Richard removes the old handle and face plate. He then closes the shut-off valves, removes the valve cap, and pulls out the old pressure-balancing unit. He then attaches new o-rings and inserts the new cartridge. He then installs a new cap with some plumber's grease for lubrication. Richard then installs a new sub-base and attaches the new trim and handle.
What is it?
The guys try to guess the intended purpose of an unusual-looking product.
Where to Find It
Roger showed two rubber pads that help prevent an extension ladder from falling.
Grippster Ladder Stops manufactured by: Grippster
Cordless tool batteries
Up in the loft, Kevin and Tom are joined by cordless battery expert Tim Pugh to talk about nickel-cadmium and lithium-ion battery technologies. They also discuss proper charging techniques and discuss show to properly dispose of used batteries for recycling.
Where to Find It
For more information about rechargeable batteries and how to dispose of them properly, please contact: Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC)
- Episode #511
- Cedar Clapboards, Chainsaw Etiquette … more
- Episode #510
- Kitchen Backsplash, Installing Sod … more
- Episode #509
- Child safety, What is It?, Installing a sump pump… more
- Episode #508
- Maintaining stone countertops, what is it?, Installing a chain link fence… more
- Episode #507
- Home Energy Audit, what is it?, Removing a toilet seat with corroded bolts… more
- Episode #506
- Rebuilding a small exterior deck and stairs.… more
- Episode #505
- Planting flower bulbs in fall, making straight rip cuts with a circular saw, what is it?… more
- Episode #504
- Installing garage storage cabinets, What is it?, Installing a ceiling fan… more
- Episode #503
- Installing a new shower base, Installing a rain barrel… more
- Episode #502
- Replacing a clogged faucet aerator, Selecting houseplants, Quieting a squeaky subfloor under carpet… more
- Episode #501
- Repairing a bathroom door, planting a bamboo privacy screen, what is it?… more