Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 4 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 4"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #426
- Installing a mini-split air conditioning system, what is it?, de-thatching a lawn… more
- Episode #425
- Cutting ceramic and stone tile, installing a sump pump … more
- Episode #424
- Replacing an old dishwasher, what is it?, sharpening a wood chisel, using lawn spreaders… more
- Episode #423
Original Air Date: Week of March 11, 2006
General contractor Tom Silva helps a homeowner replace an interior "hollow-core" door with a heavier, more attractive, "solid-core" door. Then, up in the loft, Tom and host Kevin O'Connor cut several doors in half to reveal how different types of doors are constructed. Then, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey heads to Philadelphia to repair a leaky kitchen faucet. Afterward, back in the loft, Richard shows Kevin several types of kitchen faucets and a few tips on repairing them.
Replacing an interior hollow-core door with a new solid-core door
Tom helps a homeowner replace an old "hollow-core" door with a new "solid-core" model. The bathroom had a door with no panels, otherwise known as a "flush door." The existing door had only a thin plywood skin on each side, was very lightweight, and didn't provide much sound deadening. The new door is heavier because its core is made up of compressed sawdust and glue. Tom begins by removing the old door and hinges. He then uses the old door as a reference for making mortises for the hinges on the new door. After chiseling out the mortises, Tom screws the new hinges onto the door. He then cuts the new door to the proper length using a circular saw and straight edge. Tom then uses wood scraps and glue to fill the screw holes in the door jamb before installing the other half of the new hinges. He then uses a holesaw and a special jig to bore holes for the doorknob and latch. After installing the lockset, Tom positions the door in place and inserts the pins into the hinges, completing the installation.
Where to Find It
Hollow-core, solid-core and block-core doors were provided by:
J&C Adams Co., Inc.
Interior doors of all types can also be purchased at your local home center or lumber yard.
Tom installed a new interior lockset manufactured by:
The jig that Tom used to bore the holes for the lockset (item no. 3111002) is manufactured by:
Repairing a leaky kitchen faucet
Richard visits a homeowner in Philadelphia with a leaky kitchen faucet. The homeowner explains that whenever the faucet is on, water leaks from where the spout meets the base of the faucet. Richard determines that the reason for the leak is that the faucet's o-rings are worn out and need to be replaced. He begins by closing the shut-off valves underneath the sink. Richard then removes the faucet's "index" cap to reveal a screw underneath. He then removes the screw and pulls off the faucet's handle. He then unscrews the cap assembly and pulls the spout off. Richard then removes two rubber o-rings and installs two new ones. Before reassembling the faucet, he lubricates the o-rings with waterproof grease to prolong their life. Then, back in the loft, Richard shows how to disassemble several other common types of kitchen faucets.
Where to Find It
The kitchen faucet that Richard repaired is manufactured by Kohler, model number K-12175. For more information on repair parts and new fixtures, contact: Kohler
O-rings and other kitchen faucet repair parts can also be purchased at your local plumbing supply house or home center.
- Episode #422
- Repairing stripped threads on a cast-iron radiator, fixing a grading problem, what is it?, stabilizing a wobbly newel post, refinishing an old cast-iron bathtub… more
- Episode #421
- Installing an instantaneous water heater, planting trees to save energy, installing cellulose insulation … more
- Episode #420
- Installing a granite driveway marker, what is it, repairing a hot water radiator system … more
- Episode #419
- Building a custom radiator cover, installing a steam humidifier in a forced-air heating system … more
- Episode #418
- Transplanting a white spruce tree, what is it?, extending a staircase handrail … more
- Episode #417
- Repairing a residential well, repairing a hole in vinyl siding … more
- Episode #416
- Choosing and using hammers, repairing a pressure-assisted toilet, repairing a plastered wall … more
- Episode #415
- Installing a low cost in-ground sprinkler system, what is it?, pouring a concrete footing for a deck … more
- Episode #414
- Installing a radon mitigation system, pruning an apple tree for fruit production… more
- Episode #413
- Installing a new vinyl floor, what is it?, preventing frozen pipes… more
- Episode #412
- Washing windows like a pro, what is it?, flushing an electric water heater… more
- Episode #411
- Snowthrowers, what is it?, where to find it… more
- Episode #410
- Pruning an overgrown privet hedge, installing a new basement laundry sink … more
- Episode #409
- Viewer tips, re-shingling a garage roof using asphalt-fiberglass shingles… more
- Episode #408
- Circular saw 101, what is it?, installing a new outdoor faucet using PEX, cabling an oak tree to prevent splitting… more
- Episode #407
- Removing and preventing moss, algae and lichen from a roof, what is it?, repairing a leaky water valve, planting shade-tolerant ground cover under a European Beech tree … more
- Episode #406
- Building a raised garden bed with landscape timbers, clearing a bathtub drain. … more
- Episode #405
- Caring for a rose bush, how to steady a wobbly toilet, plugging a basement water leak using hydraulic cement.… more
- Episode #404
- Repairing a flat wheelbarrow tire, repairing an aluminum rain gutter, viewer tips, installing a thermal expansion tank … more
- Episode #403
- Installing an under-sink water filter, planting a drought-resistant tree.… more
- Episode #402
- Quieting creaky stairs, static cling solution, and installing an electric shut-off valve for a washing machine … more
- Episode #401
- Repairing a mortared stone walkway, patching an oak floor… more