Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 4 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 4"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #426
- Installing a mini-split air conditioning system, what is it?, de-thatching a lawn… more
- Episode #425
- Cutting ceramic and stone tile, installing a sump pump … more
- Episode #424
- Replacing an old dishwasher, what is it?, sharpening a wood chisel, using lawn spreaders… more
- Episode #423
- Replacing an interior "hollow-core" door with a new "solid-core" door, repairing a leaky kitchen faucet… more
- Episode #422
- Repairing stripped threads on a cast-iron radiator, fixing a grading problem, what is it?, stabilizing a wobbly newel post, refinishing an old cast-iron bathtub… more
- Episode #421
- Installing an instantaneous water heater, planting trees to save energy, installing cellulose insulation … more
- Episode #420
- Installing a granite driveway marker, what is it, repairing a hot water radiator system … more
- Episode #419
- Building a custom radiator cover, installing a steam humidifier in a forced-air heating system … more
- Episode #418
- Transplanting a white spruce tree, what is it?, extending a staircase handrail … more
- Episode #417
Original Air Date: Week of January 28, 2006
Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey and a specialist repair a residential well system for a homeowner by replacing the pump and pressurized well tank. Then general contractor Tom Silva helps a homeowner repair a small hole in his vinyl siding.
Repairing a residential well
Richard and well specialist Dave Haynes help a homeowner repair a residential well that is causing a banging sound inside the house. Dave determines that the well pump needs to be replaced, along with a pressurized storage tank inside the basement. Richard and Dave begin by removing the old well pump. They then replace it with a more durable stainless steel unit. They also replace the tank with a much larger tank so that the pump won't over-cycle, which could shorten its life.
Where to Find It: Well specialist
Northeast Water Wells, Inc.
Pressurized well tank (model no. WX-302) and digital control switch are manufactured by:
Richard and Dave installed a new stainless steel, 3/4 horsepower, 10 gallon-per-minute well pump (model no. 10S07-12) manufactured by:
Grundfos Pumps Corporation
Repairing a hole in vinyl siding
Tom helps a homeowner patch a hole in his vinyl siding. The homeowner has an extra piece of siding left over from the original installation several years ago, but its color doesn't match the siding on the rest of the house which has faded over time. So instead of using the newer piece of siding for the patch, Tom recommends removing some older siding from a less visible part of the house and using it to patch the hole.
Where to Find It
Tom used a special tool for removing and reinstalling vinyl siding like the one listed below.
Malco Products, Inc.800-596-3494
- Episode #416
- Choosing and using hammers, repairing a pressure-assisted toilet, repairing a plastered wall … more
- Episode #415
- Installing a low cost in-ground sprinkler system, what is it?, pouring a concrete footing for a deck … more
- Episode #414
- Installing a radon mitigation system, pruning an apple tree for fruit production… more
- Episode #413
- Installing a new vinyl floor, what is it?, preventing frozen pipes… more
- Episode #412
- Washing windows like a pro, what is it?, flushing an electric water heater… more
- Episode #411
- Snowthrowers, what is it?, where to find it… more
- Episode #410
- Pruning an overgrown privet hedge, installing a new basement laundry sink … more
- Episode #409
- Viewer tips, re-shingling a garage roof using asphalt-fiberglass shingles… more
- Episode #408
- Circular saw 101, what is it?, installing a new outdoor faucet using PEX, cabling an oak tree to prevent splitting… more
- Episode #407
- Removing and preventing moss, algae and lichen from a roof, what is it?, repairing a leaky water valve, planting shade-tolerant ground cover under a European Beech tree … more
- Episode #406
- Building a raised garden bed with landscape timbers, clearing a bathtub drain. … more
- Episode #405
- Caring for a rose bush, how to steady a wobbly toilet, plugging a basement water leak using hydraulic cement.… more
- Episode #404
- Repairing a flat wheelbarrow tire, repairing an aluminum rain gutter, viewer tips, installing a thermal expansion tank … more
- Episode #403
- Installing an under-sink water filter, planting a drought-resistant tree.… more
- Episode #402
- Quieting creaky stairs, static cling solution, and installing an electric shut-off valve for a washing machine … more
- Episode #401
- Repairing a mortared stone walkway, patching an oak floor… more