Find more information on Ask This Old House episodes, or more information on products and services you saw on Ask This Old House.
Ask This Old House does not endorse any product or service mentioned within this Web site.
Sort by Season
Select a Season:
Season 4 Show Descriptions
Showing results for "Season 4"
Scan the episodes below and select "more" to get information on products or services you saw on that episode.
- Episode #426
- Installing a mini-split air conditioning system, what is it?, de-thatching a lawn… more
- Episode #425
- Cutting ceramic and stone tile, installing a sump pump … more
- Episode #424
- Replacing an old dishwasher, what is it?, sharpening a wood chisel, using lawn spreaders… more
- Episode #423
- Replacing an interior "hollow-core" door with a new "solid-core" door, repairing a leaky kitchen faucet… more
- Episode #422
- Repairing stripped threads on a cast-iron radiator, fixing a grading problem, what is it?, stabilizing a wobbly newel post, refinishing an old cast-iron bathtub… more
- Episode #421
- Installing an instantaneous water heater, planting trees to save energy, installing cellulose insulation … more
- Episode #420
- Installing a granite driveway marker, what is it, repairing a hot water radiator system … more
- Episode #419
- Building a custom radiator cover, installing a steam humidifier in a forced-air heating system … more
- Episode #418
- Transplanting a white spruce tree, what is it?, extending a staircase handrail … more
- Episode #417
- Repairing a residential well, repairing a hole in vinyl siding … more
- Episode #416
- Choosing and using hammers, repairing a pressure-assisted toilet, repairing a plastered wall … more
- Episode #415
- Installing a low cost in-ground sprinkler system, what is it?, pouring a concrete footing for a deck … more
- Episode #414
- Installing a radon mitigation system, pruning an apple tree for fruit production… more
- Episode #413
- Installing a new vinyl floor, what is it?, preventing frozen pipes… more
- Episode #412
- Washing windows like a pro, what is it?, flushing an electric water heater… more
- Episode #411
- Snowthrowers, what is it?, where to find it… more
- Episode #410
- Pruning an overgrown privet hedge, installing a new basement laundry sink … more
- Episode #409
- Viewer tips, re-shingling a garage roof using asphalt-fiberglass shingles… more
- Episode #408
- Circular saw 101, what is it?, installing a new outdoor faucet using PEX, cabling an oak tree to prevent splitting… more
- Episode #407
- Removing and preventing moss, algae and lichen from a roof, what is it?, repairing a leaky water valve, planting shade-tolerant ground cover under a European Beech tree … more
- Episode #406
- Building a raised garden bed with landscape timbers, clearing a bathtub drain. … more
- Episode #405
- Caring for a rose bush, how to steady a wobbly toilet, plugging a basement water leak using hydraulic cement.… more
- Episode #404
Original Air Date: Week of October 27, 2005
Up in the loft, landscaping contractor Roger Cook shows host Kevin O'Connor how to repair a flat wheelbarrow tire. He also shows a new type of flat-free tire. Then, general contractor Tom Silva helps a homeowner repair an aluminum rain gutter. Then, back in the loft, Kevin and Tom demonstrate a tip sent in from a viewer on how to drill a hole in ceramic tile. Then, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey helps a homeowner with a leaking T&P valve on his water heater by installing a thermal expansion tank.
Repairing a flat wheelbarrow tire
Landscaping contractor Roger Cook demonstrates how to repair a flat wheelbarrow tire. He explains the difference between tube and tubeless tires and shows the repair methods for each. He then shows a new type of flat-free tire that is made of closed-cell polyurethane.
Where to Find It Tire repair kits can be purchased at your local home center or automotive parts supplier.
The flat-free tire is made by:
Repairing an aluminum rain gutter
General contractor Tom Silva visits a homeowner to help her repair a broken aluminum rain gutter. First, he eliminates a sag in the middle of the gutter by reinstalling the gutter with new hangers and screws. Tom is careful to make sure the middle of the gutter is higher than the ends so that rainwater can run to the downspouts on each end of the gutter. He then re-attaches the downspouts with new straps and self-tapping gutter screws.
Where to Find It
The rain gutter brackets, straps, and screws were provided by:
Ladders and expandable planks were provided by:
Lynn Ladder & Scaffolding Co., Inc.
Kevin and Tom demonstrate a tip sent in by a viewer. They use a drywall screw for making a dimple in tile before drilling a hole to prevent the drill's bit from wandering. Tom then shows another method: by starting the drill very slowly, he breaks the glaze of the tiles before drilling the hole.
Where to Find It: Carbide Tile bits
Vermont American/Robert Bosch Tool Corp.
Installing a thermal expansion tank
Richard installs a thermal-expansion tank for a water heater with a leaking temperature-and-pressure (T&P) valve. By connecting a pressure gauge to the water heater, Richard discovers that the existing T&P valve is working properly but that there is too much pressure inside the heater. To relieve the pressure, Richard installs a thermal-expansion tank. He begins by installing a pipe that will connect the expansion tank to the cold water line on the water heater. He then fills one side of the expansion tank with air and mounts it to the ceiling. Once installed, Richard tested the system and found that the pressure inside the heater was normal. Back in the loft, Richard shows several other one-way valves that can cause excess pressure inside domestic water heaters.
Where to Find It
Richard installed a thermal-expansion tank for a domestic water heater.
Therm-X-Trol, model# ST-12
Manufacturer: Amtrol Inc.
- Episode #403
- Installing an under-sink water filter, planting a drought-resistant tree.… more
- Episode #402
- Quieting creaky stairs, static cling solution, and installing an electric shut-off valve for a washing machine … more
- Episode #401
- Repairing a mortared stone walkway, patching an oak floor… more