OFFICIAL PUMPKIN CARVING CONTEST RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. HOW TO ENTER: The entry period for this contest begins 12:01 A.M. EST on 09/24/13 and ends 11:59 P.M. EST on 10/28/13. To enter online, go to thisoldhouse.com/pumpkins and follow instructions to submit one original photograph of your carved Halloween pumpkin, along with a brief (200 words or less) description of the photo shown. (For best results, please upload images with a minimum resolution of 445x445 pixels and a maximum resolution of 4000x4000 pixels. File size should not exceed 17MB.) No limit to number of entries per person, but each entry must be a different pumpkin. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, or incomplete entries, or entries not received for any reason. Entries become sole property of Sponsor and none will be acknowledged or returned. By entering, Entrant warrants that his or her entry (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, and (2) has not been published in any national magazine or website (Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may select previously published photos). Submission of an Entry, including the photograph, grants the Sponsors, and their agents (to the extent the contestant owns said rights) the right to print, copy, publish, use, edit, exhibit, distribute, perform, merchandize, license, sublicense, adapt and/or modify any Entry in any way (and to publish the contestant's name), in any and all media whether now known or hereafter developed, without limitation and without compensation to the contestant.
2. JUDGING: All entries will be vetted for appropriateness by This Old House editorial as per our Terms and Conditions, and all eligible entries will be displayed on thisoldhouse.com/pumpkins. Displayed entries will be judged solely by This Old House editorial. This Old House editorial will select the Grand-Prize Winner and 24 finalists from among all qualified entries based on these criteria: 25% Originality; 25% Charm and Personality; 50% Handiwork. Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winner will be notified by email or phone on 10/30/12.
3. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, and Canada (with the exception of Quebec) who are 19 years or older at time of entry ("Entrant(s )"). The age of majority for contract purposes in Alabama and Nebraska is 19 years. In all other states, the age of majority for contract is 18 years. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor and its promotional partners and their respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same of household of each such employee) are not eligible.
4. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: The grand-prize-winning entry, as well as the finalists, will appear in a photo gallery on thisoldhouse.com during Halloween week 2013. The grand-prize winner will receive a gift card in the amount of $500. All other expenses not specified herein are the responsibility of the Winner. ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. The prize is awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind. Limit one prize per person or household.
5. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Sponsor's sole discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Sponsor to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Entrant represents that any photo(s), and other materials submitted as part of Entrant's Contest entry are original and will not constitute an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such (photo(s), essay, etc.) and other materials. In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant's submitted photo(s) or videos, along with Entrant's name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media for possible editorial, promotional or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and where legally permissible a Publicity Release and confirmation of a license as set forth above within 2 days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the photo and/or video and other materials submitted are original and have never been published in a national magazine or website. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agencies to use Winner's name and/or likeness, biographical information, (and/or essay, photograph, etc.,) other materials submitted for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants and Winners agree to hold Sponsor and its promotional partners, its directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless for liability, damages or claims for injury or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse, or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion or privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act, or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which the Sponsor deems likely to subject the Sponsor, entrant or winner to ridicule, scandal or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon the Sponsor in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsor after a winner has received notice of his prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsor may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sponsor may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
6. INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. CAUTION: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the email address. The "authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned.
7. GOVERNING LAW: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the state of New York without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of New York, without recourse to class action suits.
8. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
9. WINNER'S LIST: For name of Winner(s), log onto thisoldhouse.com/pumpkins after 6:00 a.m. on 10/30/13, available for a period of 90 days, or write to This Old House, Pumpkin Carving Contest, 135 West 50th St., 10th Floor, New York, NY 10020.