The new U-shape layout, with a 3½-by-6-foot island at its center, is all about function—and socializing.
1. Added a doorway for a more direct connection to the back patio.
2. Installed an island with prep space and a dishwasher steps from the new cooking and cleanup zones.
3. After shifting a window, made a mock hutch with open shelves and base cabinets.
4. Put in large new windows for added light and air in the cooking zone.
5. Built a pantry for staples that otherwise might go in upper cabinets.