smoke coming out of double oven, holiday disaster
Photo: craftvision/E+/Getty
« »

Wrecked Wires

"On Christmas day I was preparing two prime ribs of beef in my double ovens, trying to impress my parents and in-laws. The house filled with smoke and a terrible smell of burning rubber was coming from the dining room walls. The fire department came and tried to bash in the walls. Thank goodness my father-in-law and my dad knew the smell was the aluminum wiring and shut off the power. The house was saved—and dinner was finished on the grill."

—Christy May T.
Ask TOH users about Home & Real Estate

Contribute to This Story Below