Who: Mary M.
Where: Belmont, MI
We sledged the bricks out, one by one. Then we removed the fireplace insert and gas logs, and we took out the walls, including the outside wall, so we could properly insulate it. My husband had to move the header in order to make the opening larger. He then fashioned a dome insert in order to form the drywall in a dome shape, instead of a square opening. We were in constant communication with the fireplace/stove business owner in Tennessee because installing a stove would need a lot more space "to code," since it would be generating a lot more heat. After all the cement work, we put in cultured stone, a small tiled floor just under the stove, and we tore out carpet and installed ceramic stone tile that looks just like barn-wood slats.