roof questions answered roof ridge vent man hammering onto roof addition against side of house
Photo: Comstock/Getty
« »

Ridge Vent

Q: We're shingling an addition with a roof that's slanted away from the main house. The roof meets the aluminum siding on the main house. We want to vent it but can't use a ridge vent. Is there something we can use to fill between the siding and the roof and allow ventilation without letting in water?

—Elaine, South Easton, Mass.

A: Tom Silva replies: There is a vent system that is made for that type of application, where you have a roof that meets a side wall. You cut a slot in the roof, and one row of shingles will come out and under to become flashing. Then your siding comes down and hides that piece. So it's basically a ridge vent cut in half.
Ask TOH users about Roofing

Contribute to This Story Below