What They Did:
Relocated to an adjacent bedroom space, the new 175-square-foot kitchen opens to an 81-square-foot office where the old kitchen used to be.
1. Took down walls and added structural beams and columns to establish a more open layout.
2. Created free-flowing pathways into and around the cooking, dining, and office areas.
3. Added a leaded-glass interior window to channel light from the kitchen into the hall.
4. Installed period-style windows over the new sink area and hid baseboard heat in the toekick.
5. Added an island capped at one end by a taller cabinet that holds appliances and serves as a room divider.