Floor Plan: After
The back of the house was bumped out, allowing the kitchen to grow to 182 square feet and open onto a larger family room with a breakfast nook.
1. Bumped out the rear wall, extending the room while keeping its original width, and added a large arched window.
2. Opened the kitchen to the now-larger family room and a new breakfast nook while retaining the original step-down.
3. Flanked the cooking area with casement windows for more light and a sight line to the new screened porch.
4. Added a large island with a prep sink, cabinets, drawers, and open shelves.
5. Kept the fridge—read: cold beverages—in a spot that's easily reached from the dining room and breakfast nook.